Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks SNSSO. The 650c wheel thing is a no no I reckon.

Any other bike suggestions?
yep - that was why I got the 54cm and the shortest stem possible. I do know of someone else with the 51cm and they are now trying to sort wheels... have had to recommend they talk to a excellent bike shop in somerset...

Not sure on any other road bike - would have to throw that out to other's i'm afraid but I guess 2nd hand could be your best bet - depends on your budget really.

Longshot

PSA: Reading Decathlon had a 57" 5a in yesterday as well as a number of 7s, 5s, white 3s and at least one red 3.

I so nearly bought the 5a.

DudeManchoo72

Regular
Did 20 odd miles today......bike feels bedded in now after the initial newness period.....adjusted the brakes and gears with minor tweeks.....bike still feels tight.....I'm frankly quite amazed at the quality of this machine.....will defo upgrade parts when they wear out.....but can't see that happening for a good few miles yet though!

malcermie

Did 20 odd miles today......bike feels bedded in now after the initial newness period.....adjusted the brakes and gears with minor tweeks.....bike still feels tight.....I'm frankly quite amazed at the quality of this machine.....will defo upgrade parts when they wear out.....but can't see that happening for a good few miles yet though!
Welcome to the Tribe! Be sure to read through this thread, many useful things you need to know. Pay particular attention to the wheel cones, many of us have found they did not contain enough grease.:thumbsup:

Col5632

Guru
Well after 600 miles on my triban 5a i can say im still chuffed with it, however the tyre came away from the rim on saturday, sidewall is all cracked, thought i would get more from it that that, getting a tick tock noise coming from the bike now too, away to decathlon tonight to get new tyres and see what the noise is :cursing:

DudeManchoo72

Regular
I'm getting a clicking sound from my bottom bracket when I give it some stick up a climb..........or it could be one of the the pedals.......only clocked up about 120 miles since I got it..........I'll have a tinker and see what I find.

Tom Hooper

just ordered a pair of r501's cassette and chain to be ordered next week. done 1500km on the standard wheels started to get a clicking noise will grease hubs when i get a chance and keep for spares or sell.

Kookas

Über Member
I'm getting a clicking sound from my bottom bracket when I give it some stick up a climb..........or it could be one of the the pedals.......only clocked up about 120 miles since I got it..........I'll have a tinker and see what I find.

I had that issue. It was actually down to the freehub. They replaced the back wheel under warranty and it was all good.

Normally they would have repaired the wheel instead of replacing it, but they'd had me waiting for them to repair it for a week when I went in and asked about it, so they decided to just swap it out because it'd be quicker.

Col5632

Guru
New tyres fitted :thumbsup:

Attachments

• New Tyres.jpg
    New Tyres.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 53

Webbi

Wow, I just wanted to say hi, I am a Red Triban 3 owner and intended to get involved in this thread sooner, but decided to read it first. Several weeks later... I reached the end!

I am 6'3" and have the 63cm frame which fits me really rather well. I know others my size opted for the 60 but I found I was a bit hunched on it. I am around 17 stone and have done about 200 miles and although the wheels still seem true, they are not giving me much confidence and with two punctures this week I am feeling that the time is right to buy some better ones with some better tyres.

I have used mine to do a Duathlon and it put in a good show among plenty of bikes worth more than 10 times what the T3 cost. I have replaced the pedals with some MTB style, used the plastic decathlon mudguards and a plastic water bottle holder (black).
This week I am expecting delivery of a new seat post clamp (qr in white), new saddle (black, red and white), white handlebar tape (for the handlebars) and some clip on tri-bars (which will have the black tape from the handlebars pu on them). Very excited!

Oh, and somewhere way down the thread someone mentioned they would be doing the Manchester to Blackpool this year - I am too and will be keeping my eye out for other Tribanites!

Well done on a most excellent and educational thread by the way. I feel like I already know some of you quite well!

andyoxon

Legendary Member
just ordered a pair of r501's cassette and chain to be ordered next week. done 1500km on the standard wheels started to get a clicking noise will grease hubs when i get a chance and keep for spares or sell.

Seems like a good plan - going to use mine for 1000-1500km I reckon, unless they need replacing before... I know rider weight is a consideration, but I find I roll/coast faster than most people I ride with of a similar weight.. so the tyre/wheel combo isn't that bad.

Coventry Decathlon had 8 old model Triban 3 54cm bikes delivered today. £299 instore and ready to ride. These currently sell for £350 on eBay second hand so if you live nearby, this may be your last chance to get one of the carbon fork versions. The new white model has a significantly lower spec.

Hang on though... only 7 left... oh yeah, the other one's in my hallway. I'm told they're selling fast. Nice too that, as I was wheeling the bike to in-store checkout, two different people came up to me and said they owned the same model and recommended it.

Just done my first five miles to check it out... good so far. Well, nothing fell off. Nor did I. Amazingly light and whoo! the acceleration! compared to my steel MTB but that's hardly an expert review.

Will post anything significant.

Top Bottom