Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^_^ Yes, I've noticed that by the number of people here who eventually had to seek professional assistance to sort things out. If your store is a hundred miles away then it's obviously very inconvenient, but for others who would be less inconvenienced I repeat what I said in my previous post - it is not worth invalidating the warranty and potentially making things worse by tampering with it.

As for Decathlon not wanting to mess people about, there are contributors to this thread who have experienced exactly that. Why have to rely on the whim of your local store being cooperative when you don't need to?

I will thank the others for coming to my assistance/help in my absence. All I ever asked Decathlon to do was to undo the bottom bracket because it was on way too tight for me to get off without breaking it. And exactly that happened when a decathlon mechanic tried removing it - they broke it instead.

As someone who has tried cycling around the world, a dog terminating that nothing else, I am more than able to handle most repairs myself. If I needed to, I could strip & service a Rohloff hub. And I would like to point out that I never hid the fact that I had regreased the hubs from anyone in the store, even when ringing them for assistance with the bottom bracket. I do not expect them to service a well used bike free of charge. In fact I never asked Decathlon to look at the wheels and they undid what I had already done, yes the bike was good for a few weeks afterwards, but that was all. The Decathlon repairs lasted less than 6-8 weeks before I needed to strip and regrease, replace all of the bearings yet again because of their workmanship/quality of the wheels. I am not prepared to take a bike back to Decathlon that often. the wheels have now been replaced with something that will last. I suspect the BB will have to be replaced before long and I will be doing that myself as well. Since that posting, the bike has had 3 chains and a new cassette amongst other new parts. I use the bike far more than most people do. It is my only transport during the week, I live rurally and have a couple of 41 miles commutes and I have already covered +2,000 mile in the first 4 months of this year alone.

The internet is a place for people to collect information and make what they want of it. If they use it it is up to them. We are all well aware of the warranty side of life and I am one of those who has made people aware of the need to ensure your bike has had the 6 month safety check if you actually want Decthalon to continue with your waranty. Something quite a few of us were never informed about. I have never lied to Decathlon about home servicing our bikes - changes to my bike are clearly visible. I do not for instance change my tyres, brake pads, bars or stem back to the stock ones before taking my bike in (that one time) and if they had charged I would have paid for their help because I rang up asking for their help.

Please do not mistake me being female for me being incompetent.

Widge

Baldy Go
Becoming au-fait with bike maintenance is all part of the great big fun of cycling in my opinion? The only thing that would neccesarily take me back to the store would be catastrophic frame failure. Everything else is user-serviceable if you want!

Having said that, staff at the Nempnett Thrubwell are simply terrific. They even repaired one of my loose tooth crowns while-I waited.
!

Can't say fairer than that?

GentlyBenevolent

Went to buy a T3 for the missus today - out of stock everywhere in the required size. Same for the T5. T7 is way outside the budget, and the new 3A/5A models aren't in for a while and sound like a fair step back in gear, but step up in price. :sad:

Can't fault the lad we spoke to in the Decathlon shop though - very helpful and informative, kind of wish we could've bought a bike from him.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm still considering getting a T3 Red for my daughter. Can anyone help with sizing info? I can't find anything on the Decathlon site. I see they have 51cm bikes in stock. Any idea if that would work for a girl who is 5' 4" ?

I'm still considering getting a T3 Red for my daughter. Can anyone help with sizing info? I can't find anything on the Decathlon site. I see they have 51cm bikes in stock. Any idea if that would work for a girl who is 5' 4" ?
yes it would. but there will be issues with wheels because the 51cm size is on 650c wheels not 700c wheels. however if you don't think she is likely to wear them out, then she will be fine. (I'm 5ft 6" and only fit the 54cm with a very short stem - female btw - I went with the 54cm because of the 700c wheel size knowing I do lots of miles. If I had got the 51cm size I would have needed to replace the seat post to allow for my leg length)

Top Bottom