Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
You're braver than me, got the shoes, I am tempted to get the pedals, but I keep having the odd emergency stop which puts me off! Maybe soon!

Clipless pedals are incredibly easy to get your feet out of in an emergency stop. It's not like you have to exert extreme force to release your foot, and it's simple enough to do that you can do it without thinking (even without training up muscle memory).

Honestly, after a week of use, the only trouble I have with them now is clipping in (sometimes I fail to clip in first time).

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Set them quite loose.
Just invested in a a pair of clipless SPD's and shoes. Had a practice in the kitchen leaning against the work top first. Set them quite loose (obviously not too loose mind!) Seems quite easy to clip out. I agree that until you get used to the cleats that clipping in could be problematic but you will soon get used to know where exactly the cleats are beneath the shoes.
Also, keep in mind that you are clipped in when approaching junctions/stops etc.

danjanoob

Is this any of us on here? :whistle:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

What a knob that driver is though. Personally, i saw no need to sound the horn at the pass, as it simply did not look that close. I experience much closer passing on my morning commute. But the driver did not need to react that way. Clearly pond life.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Anyone else feeling the need to get out and about on the Triban since the better weather has arrived?

Unfortunately for me, too many late finishes at work have wiped me out and tbh I've been too knackered to do ANY cycling after work. Should be back on normal hours next week so should return to some normality.

Kies

Funny you should say that .... I fitted some spare look keo's to my Triban this evening and went for a quick 17 mile blast around Slough .... Roll on even warmer evenings ..... Just love riding past beer gardens .... Not even tempted these days - cycling is my drug :biggrin:

Martin p

Hello there
Had my tri3 for about 6 mths now & loving it . Everything original apart from the pedals . Have just ordered some AL30 c wheels from Planet x for £150 . Has anybody had any of these or knows anyone who has ?
The reviews seem good . Just seen Shimano 501 wheels from Merlin cycles for £77 , any thoughts . Cheers :smile:

Kies

Those Shimano's would be a good choice over the stock wheels (weak point is hubs). Add some quality tyres and you have a decent machine.

And yes i did the same ..... Upgraded to shimano RS10's with lugano tyres. Has made a big difference to the bike!

Last weekend I upgraded the wheels to Fulcrum Raching 7 CX's for £128 (plus £5 P&P). I needed the CX version because the tarmac lanes I cycle to home resembles a dirt track at the best of times with 8 nasty n-style speed bumps (think 1980's sleeping policemen if you were around then). My alternatives are 2 dirt tracks which are both very lengthy. I am loving the new wheels. So much smoother than the stock wheels. Freewheeling is much easier, more often and quieter and did I mention how much smoother the bike is?
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k6...8-9-10-11-speed.html?lg=en&country=226&cr=GBP
Delivery from Germany took 3 days (ordered monday pm, delivered thursday and I have a house most delivery drivers fail to find!)

I changed the tyres almost immediately when I got the T3 in September going over to Schwalbe Durano pluses. If you are not used to the extra weight of this range the may seem slower than lots of other tyres. but I love the grip and the confidence I get from them and given the distances I cover, I prefer not to have too many fairy visits. Only the 1 so far and that would have taken out a car tyre.

PS - did I mention how much smoother the new wheels are?;)

Billy Adam

Last weekend I upgraded the wheels to Fulcrum Raching 7 CX's for £128 (plus £5 P&P). I needed the CX version because the tarmac lanes I cycle to home resembles a dirt track at the best of times with 8 nasty n-style speed bumps (think 1980's sleeping policemen if you were around then). My alternatives are 2 dirt tracks which are both very lengthy. I am loving the new wheels. So much smoother than the stock wheels. Freewheeling is much easier, more often and quieter and did I mention how much smoother the bike is?
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k6...8-9-10-11-speed.html?lg=en&country=226&cr=GBP
Delivery from Germany took 3 days (ordered monday pm, delivered thursday and I have a house most delivery drivers fail to find!)

I changed the tyres almost immediately when I got the T3 in September going over to Schwalbe Durano pluses. If you are not used to the extra weight of this range the may seem slower than lots of other tyres. but I love the grip and the confidence I get from them and given the distances I cover, I prefer not to have too many fairy visits. Only the 1 so far and that would have taken out a car tyre.

Do you find the wheels much smoother?

Martin p

Those Shimano's would be a good choice over the stock wheels (weak point is hubs). Add some quality tyres and you have a decent machine.

And yes i did the same ..... Upgraded to shimano RS10's with lugano tyres. Has made a big difference to the bike!

Yes Kies the Shimano's seem very good value , how are you finding the RS10's ?
I am looking at the AL30 C 's for the same reason as you Satnav , the roads around Sheffield are not the best either .
I will look at the Fulcrums as an alternative.

simon.r

Person
Is this any of us on here? :whistle:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

What a knob that driver is though. Personally, i saw no need to sound the horn at the pass, as it simply did not look that close. I experience much closer passing on my morning commute. But the driver did not need to react that way. Clearly pond life.

Yes.

See this thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/assaulted.126416/

Top Bottom