Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
[QUOTE 2437759, member: 76"]The latest member of the T3 owners club! That was close, it was one of the last few 54cm ones in red around![/quote]
Woohoo! Enjoy the T3 Maggot, Fantastic rides in store for you.

Oliver T

I have a few questions about the Triban bikes, and who better to ask that the owners club :biggrin:

I plan on visiting the Lakeside Decathlon store soon, but I still can't decide on which bike to get. I'm stumped on whether to get the new 5a or get a 3 and buy a bunch of upgrades with the left over money.

What do you guys think?

DudeManchoo72

Regular
Bought mine last weekend.......kept pondering over buying it as thought the spec was too good to be true.....until I found out they have now replaced the carbon fork and groupset to nasty cheaper versions.......didn't have any of the red ones left at Bolton and had one left at Stockport luckily in my size which they reserved for me and I snapped up an hour later......couldn't fault the staff either......couple of commutes later........cant fault it........using mainly for 16 mile round trip commutes and a few weekend escapades

Typhon

I have just got my triban 3 frame 63cm because I am 6 ft 6 in. I am now concerned I am over weight for the bike at 19 stone after the maximum weight is 100 kg

Congrats on the new bike! I think Brian was around that weight when he started and I don't think he's had any problems with his. The worst that'll happen is some broken spokes, but you'll probably want to upgrade the wheels eventually anyway.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I have just got my triban 3 frame 63cm because I am 6 ft 6 in. I am now concerned I am over weight for the bike at 19 stone after the maximum weight is 100 kg
You'll be alright little fella.... im 6'8 and 20 stone..... spokes will be a problem. I broke 3 before I just bought hand built wheels. But i did about 1200 miles to break those spokes and one I hit a speed bump at about 30mph....

Radchenister

Veteran
Congrats, I was pretty heavy at start up, not far off your weight at the time, a couple of stone lighter now and dropping. The bike will be fine but obviously, do aim to avoid potholes, bumps and cracks etc. You can use your arms and legs as dampers if you can't miss something slightly bumpy, just shift off the seat slightly and try and let the arms and legs work like shocks.

If I was starting again, I wouldn't mess about thinking that the tyres will help dampen things if kept at lower pressure; at first I used to put 100 psi in the rear and 90 - 95 psi in the front but realised it was not a good idea when standing to climb hills, as the front was squashing in a worrying way and I believe you'll likely puncture more if you have them too low. Best keep the pressures highish on both wheels to avoid pinches and movement (105 - 110 psi on the standard tyres will be fine). I'm now on 115 - 120 psi on new wheels and tyres.

The most disconcerting thing I didn't like about the original bike set up, when putting it under load, was the flex in the front wheel if climbing reasonably vigorously when standing up (you don't have to do this of course), it'll take it OK but might creak a bit and if you're using a computer, the flex might mean one sensor clips the other slightly (if they're set close together).

That's about it, not too much to worry about, just get out there and all will become clear.

No problem, I think I was just over 19st when I got my T3. I've had no problems with the wheels or spokes, just make sure you keep them pumped up over a 100psi and avoid potholes! I am still on the original btwin tyres.

I feel like a streak of ditch water reading the above as I got the 60cm size being 6' 2" and only 12 stone 7pounds I see that the pothole advise is something we all agree on as there are lots in even the main road in this part of N Somerset I've not cracked my first thousand on mine yet but have fitted new clarks brake blocks to the rear as the bog standard one that came with the bike didn't seem to slow me down as much as I liked. The wheels are not that good as already got a slight twist in the rear one (B potholes) But what do you expect for £300 quid.
For me I think the bike worth that just for the frame and the forks So at this point do I up grade the bike with better wheels and the better Shimarno gears and all the bits or do I ditch it and go up market to a full carbon spending about £1,500 I could do it but really can't justify it to myself after all I can do 70 odd miles in a day now so would I do any more on an up market carbon bearing in mind that I'm no youngster. being 66 years this time round
I must just ask you all after being out on the bike. Do you still get that buzz when you get back from a ride be it 7miles or 70miles? I'd be interested to know. Thats if youv'e read this far down my ramblings.
Regards All Antnee.

Radchenister

Veteran
Who said anything about buying £1500 worth of carbon, preaching to the converted here - wrong thread for that I reckon? :wacko: ^_^ :wacko:

I think the wheels are a right of passage, inevitable at some point but no problem if you're not in a rush - mine got changed at 1000km not the 2000km I'd planned but no regrets there, I had a deal set out in front of me, the spring had sprung, the weather was fine, blah blah blah ... the ride is smoother and the bike is more stable though.

The drive train upgrades are down to personal preference again but undoubtedly adapting things to suit you and getting a smooth set up does add to the simple pleasure of just riding the bike and having it ticking away almost silently below you IMO (this would probably apply to any bike).

For me, the buzz is still there but I do need to boot myself out the door sometimes though, just like I did right at the start :thumbsup: !

Top Bottom