Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phred1812

Thanks Billy. I have seen most of the clips but it seems to me that there is some design incompatability with the components fitted to the T3. The chain set is pretty much the only thing I have not upgraded now. The original is clearly fabricated from poor quality metal and I think I will upgrade before wasting more time on the derailleur. Did you order a specific size? ie crank length and number of teeth per ring or just take what comes?

SNSSO. I have Fulcrum Racing 7s and am very pleased with them but I cannot claim to have given them a lot of hard work so it remains to be seen how durable they are. The SRAM PG850 Cassette and KMC X8-99 Silver chain are a nice combination.

P1000796_zps7c701b14.jpg

Thanks Billy. I have seen most of the clips but it seems to me that there is some design incompatability with the components fitted to the T3. The chain set is pretty much the only thing I have not upgraded now. The original is clearly fabricated from poor quality metal and I think I will upgrade before wasting more time on the derailleur. Did you order a specific size? ie crank length and number of teeth per ring or just take what comes?

SNSSO. I have Fulcrum Racing 7s and am very pleased with them but I cannot claim to have given them a lot of hard work so it remains to be seen how durable they are. The SRAM PG850 Cassette and KMC X8-99 Silver chain are a nice combination.

thanks - I hope they last slightly better... just reassembled my wheels. now to clean the bike before anything more.
Chain - just needs to be 8 speed. I went with a KMC Z51 chain which has been fine. I just have to remember it is not silver and therefore no amount of cleaning is going to get it to be silver.:whistle: I have had KMC Z51 chains before and used them on my tourer with rohloff hub and got over 14,500km (9,000 miles) from mine and around 9,500km from my OH's (oil leak killed it faster than it should have done) so am plenty happy with them. SJS sell them very cheaply without the quick link so make sure you either have a spare quick link or buy the more expensive version of the same chain that comes with a quick link.

Radchenister

Veteran
You should be able to spot your standard crank length which varies with frame size as it is printed on the side of the crank arm (just above the pedal thread point on mine).

Phred1812

You should be able to spot your standard crank length which varies with frame size as it is printed on the side of the crank arm (just above the pedal thread point on mine).

You are correct Rads. It's 170mm on the 54" frame. I hope you are feeling better. I am just getting over a mother of a head cold bequeathed by the missus so missed out riding over the weekend. I managed to sneak out this afternoon on the hybrid for 20 odd miles wearing "civvies". I had tree surgeons in today and I didn't think they would be too impressed if I morphed into a poor imitation of Sir Brad so left the Lycra in the closet.

Radchenister

Veteran
You are correct Rads. It's 170mm on the 54" frame. I hope you are feeling better. I am just getting over a mother of a head cold bequeathed by the missus so missed out riding over the weekend. I managed to sneak out this afternoon on the hybrid for 20 odd miles wearing "civvies". I had tree surgeons in today and I didn't think they would be too impressed if I morphed into a poor imitation of Sir Brad so left the Lycra in the closet.

Good to get out whatever way; cold almost over here, thanks for asking, nearly back in the civilised world - my domestic mini-disaster now resolved, lightning strikes indirectly wiped out our domestic water treatment plant / pumping station that usually pops treated water into herringbone drainage in the orchard but had become flooded due to rainfall and power outage that we didn't spot as single fuse flipped; so two days of pumping and today spent part of my time paddling about inside the system in chest waders servicing it to work again (hopefully for a few trouble free years). The joys of rural off grid living have extinguished any possibility of cycling - will get out tomorrow though.

Phred1812

Snsso yes it's the same mech
Phred it was the 170mm triple inc bb
There were no options for ratios.

Thanks again Billy. I found your posts on the "other" forum which were very helpful. Your bike looks brilliant but I think I will stick with the black saddle & bars on mine. I am not sure about the silver chainset though. Looks good with your white accents but not so sure whether it will on mine. Shimano do black but it seems a lot more expensive where I have looked so far.

Billy Adam

Thanks again Billy. I found your posts on the "other" forum which were very helpful. Your bike looks brilliant but I think I will stick with the black saddle & bars on mine. I am not sure about the silver chainset though. Looks good with your white accents but not so sure whether it will on mine. Shimano do black but it seems a lot more expensive where I have looked so far.
I don't know black and silver could look cool.

You have to carry a pack of wipes for such occasions :smile:
not those [insert word here] baby wipes please. such an environmental waste!
anyhow with the state of the roads around here (and down where you are - I used to live between Elstead & Milford) you would need to get off and clean it every mile - which would defeat the point of having a bike. It would be quicker to walk!

Top Bottom