Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First ride out on the shimano RS30's night and day. Ride felt better, brakes felt better and the 11-28 sram cassette make a big difference too.
that's good to know. I was out with someone else yesterday and got informed I should spin up hills. When I tactfully pointed out I had no gears left to spin in he was a little surprised - turned out he was on an 11-28 as well. Anyhow, my rear hub is making the most horrendous noise (again - been done twice, replaced once since September when the bike was new 2,500 miles ago) and the freehub (?) is slipping periodically, so am seriously considering new wheels with new new cassette over here as well...

Billy Adam

that's good to know. I was out with someone else yesterday and got informed I should spin up hills. When I tactfully pointed out I had no gears left to spin in he was a little surprised - turned out he was on an 11-28 as well. Anyhow, my rear hub is making the most horrendous noise (again - been done twice, replaced once since September when the bike was new 2,500 miles ago) and the freehub (?) is slipping periodically, so am seriously considering new wheels with new new cassette over here as well...
I got the SRAM pg850 cassette from wiggle for £19.99
Don't know what your budget would be but Ribble have some good deals on wheels at the mo. It does feel like a different bike now.

I got the SRAM pg850 cassette from wiggle for £19.99
Don't know what your budget would be but Ribble have some good deals on wheels at the mo. It does feel like a different bike now.
I was just looking at some Fulcrum 7 CX's which may last my riding a touch better - I'm not known for staying on road and only in good weather :whistle: apparently the seals are better because the wheel is designed for CX http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k632/a87372/racing-7-cx-shimano-8-9-10-11-speed.html
but not sure. no issues in £20 for a cassette - would need to replace chain as well... and possibly the middle chainring as well...
still with what I have thrown at it recently, it is hardly surprising. It is my only transport during the week.
I'm probably looking at a 6week to 2 month timeline before things get critical so to speak. going to do the wheel bearings again on Monday and see what we have, but I can see the brown gunk as it is on the inside of the rear cassette where it is finding its way out :eek:. new bearing, new grease should buy me 6-8 weeks which would give me enough time to work out what I need to purchase in the way of parts...

Billy Adam

I regreased my hubs on the original wheels about a month after I got my T3. And the front was over tightened, and the rear was making a horrible grating noise. That's one of the reasons I changed the wheels when I had the chance (birthday :smile:. ) and also it was getting louder and I didn't trust it.

Tom Hooper

well iv just got a nice surprise the Girlfriend has just ordered a triban 3 the cooler red one. iv had mine since june 2012. iv not had a problem with wheels although I had a lengthy lay off with injury I am looking to doing the hubs. any tips?

Billy Adam

aqy2e5a6.jpg

Get new ones :smile:

Phred1812

Looks really nice Billy.

I know you may have posted before but could you confirm the spec and dimensions of the new chainset? It looks like you have retained the original Sora front derailleur. I am forever fiddling with mine. Its either rubbing on the chain when on the big ring on the smallest two cogs or again at the other extreme. I have similar gearing (Shimano Alivio) on my other bike and I have never had to adjust front or rear derailleurs

Billy Adam

Looks really nice Billy.

I know you may have posted before but could you confirm the spec and dimensions of the new chainset? It looks like you have retained the original Sora front derailleur. I am forever fiddling with mine. Its either rubbing on the chain when on the big ring on the smallest two cogs or again at the other extreme. I have similar gearing (Shimano Alivio) on my other bike and I have never had to adjust front or rear derailleurs
Sora front chainset and BB Phred
The front is the standard one. I think you just have to keep adjusting it until you get it sorted. :sad: there are some good clips on YouTube to help you along if you need any.

Right I have finally fallen out with these wheels.... bearings in the rear wheel are shot again after about 10-12 weeks use and it was not me, but Decathlon that did them last time around including new rear hub, so I can't blame the workwoman! cones don't look too good either and I think my cassette is getting a little spikey in places! so time has come.

I have pretty much decided against the Shimano R501's (unless someone has some really compelling reason for me to use them) and am now torn between the Fulcrum Racing 7's and the Fulcrum Racing 7's CX at £5 more. It seems that the CX's may just be better suited to the road I live down (single track with nasty unavoidable speed bumps that are spoke breakers, and usually covered in soil, run off or the current theme is fallen trees after yesterday - my alternatives are an old converted railway which is a cycle route and hardcore but tends to be quite 'soft' after rain or a newly laid gravel track...). hence the reason I though that perhaps the CX version of the Fulcrum racing 7's could be the answer. http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k632/a87372/racing-7-cx-shimano-8-9-10-11-speed.html?mfid=451. Would they? Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

I am guessing that I would need a new freehub (suggestions welcome), and I know I will need a new cassette & chain by the time I order them. Anyone any thoughts? (Finance is an issue, with me not having a job, but my only transport during the week are my bikes so it is a needs must here & my OH does work so I can afford to get something that will last a touch longer than since September when the bike was purchased).

Billy Adam

Right I have finally fallen out with these wheels.... bearings in the rear wheel are shot again after about 10-12 weeks use and it was not me, but Decathlon that did them last time around including new rear hub, so I can't blame the workwoman! cones don't look too good either and I think my cassette is getting a little spikey in places! so time has come.

I have pretty much decided against the Shimano R501's (unless someone has some really compelling reason for me to use them) and am now torn between the Fulcrum Racing 7's and the Fulcrum Racing 7's CX at £5 more. It seems that the CX's may just be better suited to the road I live down (single track with nasty unavoidable speed bumps that are spoke breakers, and usually covered in soil, run off or the current theme is fallen trees after yesterday - my alternatives are an old converted railway which is a cycle route and hardcore but tends to be quite 'soft' after rain or a newly laid gravel track...). hence the reason I though that perhaps the CX version of the Fulcrum racing 7's could be the answer. http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k632/a87372/racing-7-cx-shimano-8-9-10-11-speed.html?mfid=451. Would they? Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

I am guessing that I would need a new freehub (suggestions welcome), and I know I will need a new cassette & chain by the time I order them. Anyone any thoughts? (Finance is an issue, with me not having a job, but my only transport during the week are my bikes so it is a needs must here & my OH does work so I can afford to get something that will last a touch longer than since September when the bike was purchased).
Regarding the free hub that should come with the wheels.

Billy Adam

KMC 8/9 speed chain. Be careful when buying from that German site to check postage it can be quite steep. I think they have a postage charge then a surcharge for bulky items.

KMC 8/9 speed chain. Be careful when buying from that German site to check postage it can be quite steep. I think they have a postage charge then a surcharge for bulky items.
I didn't get anything with the schwable winter marathon tyres and they are not foldable tyres - purchased 4 of them so big bulky box and delivery was quick as well, so was hoping but will double check... main concern if is the CX's wheels are suitable - can't see why not, but need to double check..

EDIT: postage was £5. I have ordered the CX version. now just need to sort cassette.

Top Bottom