Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I cycle in the hills a lot and find the T3's brakes to be really poor. So I need to get some better pads but I was also thinking of fitting cross levers. Any idea which ones would fit?

I changed my brake pads to some supplied by discobrakes.com. I also fitted some Shimano cross levers supplied by Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative. I can now ride more comfortably have the brake levers nearer to where my hands are most of the time.

Col5632

Guru
Forgive me being stupid but cross levers?

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Forgive me being stupid but cross levers?

islabars.jpg

Kies

Right .... New question about the original (red) Triban 3.

I have just bought a set of RS10's from sittingduck of this parish (thanks again). I would like to buy a new cassette so i can keep the original wheels for turbo/winter duties.
What cassette is on the Triban (stock) and what should i put on the RS10's ?

pablo180

Hi just need some help on what size triban 3 i should get. Im 6 ft 2 with about a 33inch inseam (relatively longer upper body than legs- so longer reach). what size do you think?

Havoc6

Hi just need some help on what size triban 3 i should get. Im 6 ft 2 with about a 33inch inseam (relatively longer upper body than legs- so longer reach). what size do you think?

I'm 6ft with 32leg I have got a 60cm frame size Triban 3 , which has room for adjustment either way.

andyoxon

Legendary Member

I'm 6'2"/33" IL too, and have the 60cm frame. Some more discussion on p6. http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/triban-3-owners-club.121260/page-6

I have gibbon arms, and seem to have a comfy riding position. Normally bars slightly below saddle, hands on brake hoods, and elbows slightly bent. Also quite like the wide handle bars.

Andy

Radchenister

Veteran
Right .... New question about the original (red) Triban 3.

I have just bought a set of RS10's from sittingduck of this parish (thanks again). I would like to buy a new cassette so i can keep the original wheels for turbo/winter duties.
What cassette is on the Triban (stock) and what should i put on the RS10's ?

SRAM Cassettes and Chains are popular, did mine a couple of weeks back and switched from standard 12-25 to 11-28, suits me at present, the range is slightly stretched out with more up top and bottom. The 28 comes in handy for nasty steeps but probably isn't necessary if you're naturally good at hills or riding on the level. If you have found that you are pedalling thin air going down hills (topped out) or feel able to push a higher gear on the level then the 11 might suit as well. The switch to SRAM has meant less noise and smoother, crisper gear chages. Shop around for the best price and it need not be too expensive, some shops (ahem, Halfords) have the cassettes on their shelf at nearly 3 times the price I paid for mine.

Kies

Thanks for the tip. What tools do i need to remove/install my cassette?
Can you tell i'm a newbie bike mechanic technician person?

Radchenister

Veteran
Cassette tools (one with chain whip and a tightening lock) and chain tool, if doing chain - which you should really, particularly if changing gearing.

Watch the loose 'missing links' when getting the chain out of box (had me scratching round mate's garage floor trying to find one of them).

Chain length needs to suit cassette size, if using the one I opted for, you extend the chain one extra link but need to measure old and new chains and take stretch into consideration.

Youtube or Park Tools website is your friend:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_gGZK4hyfU

You shouldn't need to do the filing parts on the T3 (or new wheels for that matter), mine was like new after circa 400 miles. The cassette I had came with two loose top gears and no spacers. You may need to tweak dérailleur settings just a touch, mine was fine after a twist of the rear black plastic adjuster and a small 1/4 turn of the front outer screw - main thing is to check for snarling anywhere and you will likely need to turn in the 'b screw' to avoid the small rear dérailleur cog touching the bigger rear cassette cog.

G3CWI

Veteran
Taking the advice of SatNavSSO my green Swisstops have just arrived and hopefully the new brake levers will be here in a few days. No need for either today though as the wind was so strong on the tops in the Peak that I needed to pedal down as well as up. :sad:

Lancj1

Hub post

Tribal 3 bought last July, probably around a thousand miles on it, not much use over the winter to be honest as didn't get into the commuting properly and have come to the conclusion I like cycling in the. Nice weather. Anyway decided to look at the hubs after reading here about probs. on examination both seemed to spin less freely that maybe they should - had not noticed this in use.

Anyway got them both done by studying YouTube and giving it a go - no real problems. Front hub was all fine no damage and appeared ok grease wise. Cleaned it and put it all back and not as tight as it was. Wheel spun for 75 secs on testing, no noise and no play so well happy.

Rear had been over tightened and took some effort to loosen everything. Bearings ok but damage on the cone. Bit light on grease. Took it all apart and cleaned and regreased and its running ok, much better than previous. That cone manage concerns me though but they are 20 quid wheels so I will replace when they don't work.

I used btwin aerosol grease which I am now worried about having read about lithium etc.

I have decided, though, that my Triban 3 is remaining as a 300 quid bike - no upgrades, just replacements as needed. Seems to make sense to me, may well pair with a higher spec machine Sunday best when I can do

Phred1812

Swissstop GHP II Flash Pro Road Bike Brake Pads - Green - they have been on my T3 for around 3,250km (through winter) now and there is still at least 1/2 of that left in them yet. Stopping power in all weather is excellent (ps - they don't look green so it won't clash!). They are pricey at £24.95 but that includes P&P and they will give you plenty of confidence you are going to stop once they bed in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swissstop-Flash-Pro-Road-Bike-Brake-Pads-Shimano-Green-/360581873471?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=14&meid=6628221292135703703&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=360581873471&

These are now sold out on this site unfortunately but available elsewhere. Do these pads fit into the T3 brake blocks without modification?

DelB

Swissstop GHP II Flash Pro Road Bike Brake Pads - Green - they have been on my T3 for around 3,250km (through winter) now and there is still at least 1/2 of that left in them yet. Stopping power in all weather is excellent (ps - they don't look green so it won't clash!). They are pricey at £24.95 but that includes P&P and they will give you plenty of confidence you are going to stop once they bed in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swissstop-Flash-Pro-Road-Bike-Brake-Pads-Shimano-Green-/360581873471?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=14&meid=6628221292135703703&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=360581873471&

Just bought these Swissstop pads on Wiggle, for £22.49 including free postage. Hoping they are better than the standard spec pads which seem to be made of cheese. :ohmy:

Top Bottom