Tour de France 2015 - may contain nuts and SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
particularly Thomas. 30 year old guy who has never (as far as I know) shown anything like this sort of climbing form before.

He's focused on the track for most of his career so has never really shown what he's capable of on the road - and those of us who have been following his career closely have always believed him capable of much more. He has always been a decent climber but his recent improvements in that department are is largely down to shedding about 5kg.

I'm not sure he's a GC contender, as I once believed, but I think we're finally getting to see the real extent of his ability.

Plus he has always been so vociferously anti-doping, it would be an unbelievable act of hubris for him to be a drug cheat.

Plus he has always been so vociferously anti-doping, it would be an unbelievable act of hubris for him to be a drug cheat.

yup - also I find it very difficult to believe that anyone in Sky would dope - It would not only be career suicide but commercial suicide - Sky would drop the project like a red hot stone and move onto something else

robertob

Bloody remarkable - stunning performance from Froome and team Sky as a whole. Froome was lost for words afterwards, and you can see why. Hard to find any superlative to do this performance justice. He put down the hammer and wrapped it up. Hard to see him losing this now if nothing completely strange happens.

Was asking myself the question: is this a believable performance? Yes, I actually think it is. Froome peaks at the right time, had an excellent preparation, already looked strong at the Dauphine and only after the first week in the Tour had a substantial advantage over his main rivals - even before a single kilometre in the mountains. He simply followed on from this excellent first week, now in the mountains, where time gaps are naturally bigger when riders have a bad day.

But was it just a bad day for some and a super day for one? No. Nibali was already more than two minutes down before today, he's just not in the right form. Contador has the Giro in his legs. It's a tough enough ask to ride it and subsequently be competitive against a primed Froome in the Tour as well. TJ, even in top form, would always find it hard to match a peaking Froome ... and Quintana? Didn't do too badly, did he? The man in white, still young, improving, not quite the level of Froome yet, any maybe not quite in the form of last seasons either? Only one single stage win this year, is nothing compared to the seasons before. Maybe down to preparations and different plans, but telling nonetheless.

So after all, I think there are valid reasons why Froome was so impressive today: he is simply the best man if fit and well. Best rider + best team = big results. Simple as that.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've been a sceptic from way back when, but if Froome , Thomas, Porte are doping I'll eat my hat (again)
There is not a cat in hell's chance that they're on blood bags, epo.
Wiggins wrote the most persuasive chapter on why he had to be clean in his autobiography, yet he was at a similar level to Froome.
I can see why there are doubters but I'm not one of them.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
even Ross Tucker is beginning to sound a bit worn
I find his position particularly dispiriting

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well Porte's pretty much had a week off, having lost 45 minutes already so it's no surprise that someone of his calibre is able to ride better than GC favourites who've busted a gut to not lose any time for 9 days.
He's only 2 minutes ahead of Cav even after today's stage!

Sky are always telling us they are at the cutting edge of technology and techniques with the most scientific approach. Who's to say that there isn't something new out there that isn't illegal just now. Has epo always been banned in the history of cycling?

400bhp

Guru
There's always a few headcases there. The more thoughtful ones look at the 6.09W/kg and reckon that's not too crazy. It's the Porte/Thomas performance that's causing issues.....particularly Thomas. 30 year old guy who has never (as far as I know) shown anything like this sort of climbing form before. As I said, I really, really hope it's the culmination of Sky's science-based approach. But we have seen this sort of situation before.

Seriously, thought you would understand this?

Thomas is one of the most talented riders ever produced by GB. He has followed and looked up to Wiggins all his BC/pro life. He is an olympic pursuit champion. He has had an outstanding season, winning 2 stage races and a classic (indeed I predicted Sky would put him up for GC this year for the Vuelta). He has been there or thereabouts for 5 odd years now and he said last year he needs to decide whether he steps it up and goes for a GC contender. we are seeing the reality of that.

As for Porte. On his day he is as good as anyone. Note how Sky have played him in this race. He has not been Froome's RH man, being dropped on a couple of occasions on stages, clearly a tactic so (on the first day in the mountains) he and Froome could rip the race apart.

With the benefit of hindsight we should have seen this stage coming, given the past history of Froome's mountain successes.

Top Bottom