Tour de France 2015 - may contain nuts and SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well said
Yep.
Considering Porte went past Q at the end I think it's quite possibly the case that whilst Froomes ride was incredible, Q started going backwards too, adding to the time difference. It's much easier to suggest doping though, what a shame

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Froome had been well-protected and the team had benefitted from Movistar setting the pace for Quintana, who tried to attack but failed. Basically Froome took his chance. If he does the same thing every day for the next 2 weeks, I will be suspicious. But he doesn't have too. All he has to do now is stay alert and mark his rivals. This was about having a racing brain as much as physical abilities, form or anything more dubious.

I don't think most clinic-commentators have much of an issue with Froome's performance. It's Porte's and Thomas' that stand out. I really, really hope it's down to a more professional, sports-science based approach to cycling. Sky have introduced things to professional cycling (everyone seems to be warming down these days) but I don't know how different their approach remains to cycling compared to the other WT teams.

I remain of the opinion that cycling is a traditional, old-fashioned sport run by ex-riders. As such it has been very slow to adopt new techniques to get the best out of its athletes. I suspect Sky still have an edge in the adoption of modern techniques. I certainly hope so

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Anyone who watched the first week could have seen this coming.
Contador, Nibali and, to a lesser extent Quintana, even lost time Froome on minor bumps such as the Murs de Bretagne and Huy. And not only Froome, others supposedly less talented.
The writing was on the Mur:okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Oh they do. Try reading the Chris Froome thread in the clinic. Apparently he's Lance Mk. 2

There's always a few headcases there. The more thoughtful ones look at the 6.09W/kg and reckon that's not too crazy. It's the Porte/Thomas performance that's causing issues.....particularly Thomas. 30 year old guy who has never (as far as I know) shown anything like this sort of climbing form before. As I said, I really, really hope it's the culmination of Sky's science-based approach. But we have seen this sort of situation before.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Porte rubbing it in a bit on Instagram tonight. :tongue:

"Getting a bit crowded here"
skylions.png

Froome had been well-protected and the team had benefitted from Movistar setting the pace for Quintana, who tried to attack but failed. Basically Froome took his chance. If he does the same thing every day for the next 2 weeks, I will be suspicious. But he doesn't have too. All he has to do now is stay alert and mark his rivals. This was about having a racing brain as much as physical abilities, form or anything more dubious.
We've seen him employ the same tactics on a few occasions so it's not like the other teams didn't know what to expect and he will have a bad day.

Thomas must be close to the form of his life and coming into that GC age peak which history has shown us plenty of times, bar the odd older exception. He's also thinner this year than last.

I've stopped reading the watts per kg stuff now and even Ross Tucker is beginning to sound a bit worn. I'm not really sure how far you can take it and whether human physiology is understood beyond a certain point. Instead I look more for frailty and fallibility and eyebrow raising team antics, no names, no pack drill...

Top Bottom