Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If that was the case then his TT wouldn't be so woeful. You're right about the power/weight ratio, though it is somewhat stating the obvious. But the lighter you are, the lower FTP that you can reasonably expect, which is also stating the obvious.

Either way none of this speculation tells us ANYTHING at all about either Quintana or Froome taking PEDs.
It was clearly in defence of Quintana. Some have mentioned they believe he has been too strong too quick. I have offered an explanation as to why he climbs so well. It doesn't seem obvious to everyone.

ayceejay

Guru
Every day on this forum we have questions regarding what to eat and how best to train for results. A lot of answers are 'eat porridge and ride your bike' with the occasional banana! Other sports have improved immensely by paying greater attention to nutrition and scientific training methods, cycling is at last catching up on this. In the past drugs allowed many to bypass natural ways to get the best from your body, if you remove drugs from the equation but continue with the old ways of training don't be surprised if you don't perform like you used to.
When Bannister ran a mile in 4 minutes it was a miracle - now marathon runners run 26 miles in just over 2 hours which is close to 4.5 minutes per mile, Bannister had a day job, although this is not the only difference.

NickM

Veteran
Cheers crackle. A good read. :thumbsup:

THIS, I can begin to accept
And if Froome uses his exceptional CP25 (or CP20, or CP15) in the final phase of the stage, his teammates, trained in the same way, use theirs somewhat earlier. When they reach the end of their period of available very high power they drop off the pace and hand over to the next teammate.

Which is just what other teams try to do... but in a less structured, defined, tactically effective way. It is consistent with their approach that the Sky sports science support team would have interpreted, made more formal, and optimised, something which other teams with overall contenders do - but do far less effectively.

yello

I am cynical too. But the kind of dope that could produce 8-minute stage wins did not exist during Merckx's career.

I was being flippant. Hence the smiley! ;) In truth, I have no idea what dope existed when nor what it might realistically produce.

And if Froome uses his exceptional CP25 (or CP20, or CP15) in the final phase of the stage, his teammates, trained in the same way, use theirs somewhat earlier. When they reach the end of their period of available very high power they drop off the pace and hand over to the next teammate.

Which is just what other teams try to do... but in a less structured, defined, tactically effective way. It is consistent with their approach that the Sky sports science support team would have interpreted, made more formal, and optimised, something which other teams with overall contenders do - but do far less effectively.
This is quite possibly what Sky do so well. What makes it so impressive from Froome's performance is that he keeps up with all of his teammates during their CP15/20/25's and then still has the gas to go again over the top of everyone else. The guys working on the front are only pacing, not drafting - unless climbing on a windy day and into a headwind. I don't believe this was the case?

So really whilst Sky may have been working on this 25 minute effort for everyone, it is really only Froome who is capable of doing the damage he inflicted on Mout Ventoux.

beastie

Guru
This is quite possibly what Sky do so well. What makes it so impressive from Froome's performance is that he keeps up with all of his teammates during their CP15/20/25's and then still has the gas to go again over the top of everyone else. The guys working on the front are only pacing, not drafting - unless climbing on a windy day and into a headwind. I don't believe this was the case?

So really whilst Sky may have been working on this 25 minute effort for everyone, it is really only Froome who is capable of doing the damage he inflicted on Mout Ventoux.
I think that's why he is the last man in the line. He was very impressive on Ventoux.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A few lumps and bumps today but nothing to frighten the horses. Will a break succeed or will Contador feel it's a stage to put Sky under some pressure because it's looking unlikely he can do so in the big hills.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
In other news, I have an interesting and unusual fact to inform you lot about that may well have escaped your attention.
Cofidis and Lampre are both in this years race. I bet none of you had noticed that - no need to thank me for my tireless, dogged research on your behalf.

Top Bottom