Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
He finished three and a half minutes ahead of Mark Cavendish yesterday.

Excellent! Worth having him just for that.

Hont

Guru
Just wondering, why is no one questioning quintana?.

I have my doubts about Quintana. However his performances in the Tour have been in the realms of the believable and, most importantly, he's not winning the race. Froome's performance, clean or otherwise, is like a black hole sucking all the light from any other dark corners.

Worth mentioning that I have heard that Movistar were all dope tested on both the morning and evening of the first rest day. Presumably following the show of strength last Sunday.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I have my doubts about Quintana. However his performances in the Tour have been in the realms of the believable and, most importantly, he's not winning the race. Froome's performance, clean or otherwise, is like a black hole sucking all the light from any other dark corners.

Worth mentioning that I have heard that Movistar were all dope tested on both the morning and evening of the first rest day. Presumably following the show of strength last Sunday.

But he's 4 years away from peak... Froome is at peak cycling age

Froome is winning because a) he's better and b) his opponents have cocked up.

Where would Kreuziger be if he was team leader or Quintana if he was leader. I reckon they'd both be closer. Valverde and Contador's reputations are built on tainted sand, they're good riders but there are better GC options in their own teams, or at least it looks that way.

I think in this race we are seeing a changing of the guard.

thom

____
I think in this race we are seeing a changing of the guard.
I agree, and you know what ? I think the future will see more variability in Grand Tour winners - I don't think it is easy for the riders to maintain the commitment and health required to get to these levels of fitness year in year out, so absolute dominance by an individual is unlikely and the primacy of individuals across the sport in the way of Armstrong or Contador will likely wane.
Froome ought to win the TdF a few times but I think you'll see injuries (like with Wiggo) playing a part and other teams facing up to what is required going forward. The likes of Quintana will have their day when they get their training bang on. And more athletes will be able to nail it one year but not quite the next.

I agree, and you know what ? I think the future will see more variability in Grand Tour winners - I don't think it is easy for the riders to maintain the commitment and health required to get to these levels of fitness year in year out, so absolute dominance by an individual is unlikely and the primacy of individuals across the sport in the way of Armstrong or Contador will likely wane.
Froome ought to win the TdF a few times but I think you'll see injuries (like with Wiggo) playing a part and other teams facing up to what is required going forward. The likes of Quintana will have their day when they get their training bang on. And more athletes will be able to nail it one year but not quite the next.

I'd agree. We should see more 80's and before type results. Perhaps then, some of this hoohah will die down. Really we've already seen it with Wiggo. He should be here but the commitment required to ride the tour again is beyond him this year. Other reasons have been given but it condenses down to that.

MisterStan

Label Required
And we'll never know whether what JVDB or Brajkovic might have been capable of either...

Fuglsang is doing all right considering he's Plan B.

True.

I can't warm to Astana. I need to keep them at a mental arms length. it's funny he went to Astana, I've never warmed to him either.

Top Bottom