Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ladep Rewop

Whilst I'm not inclined to necessarily believe the words or face or body language, Froome has a comically high cadence and that gives me reason to think 'maybe'. Now before you all leap down my throat about cadence and the purported value of high cadence (not to mention it's previous adherents), Froome's cadence - and maybe gearing too, I think he was riding 38/29? or was it 39/28?? - does set him apart from other riders. So maybe MAYBE Sky have been mastering something there (plus also maybe Froome being a natural, even freakish, athlete) that other teams have not fully exploited.

I don't want to jump to an assumption of doping, and I want to believe the Sky marginal gains mantra, but I'm finding it difficult. I'm looking for something to explain just how it is that Froome can leave other riders going backwards.

It saddens me to see how cynical people have become "Post Armstrong" ..... and I can't really blame them ....... but can you imagine The great Eddie Merckx having to explain to every on the couch analyst in minute detail how on earth he won the 17th stage of the 1969 Tour dr France over four colsby eight minutes after riding alone for 140k.

Sometimes exceptional athletes produce exceptional performances.

have to say yello what a typically british attitude you have for once british sport is having a steller period why not spoill that by throwing the first stone . there is not one shread of evidence that team SKY is doping . But i suppose that hasn't stopped one trick pony Kimmerage so why should it stop you.

yello

it's certainly an indication that he's putting himself to the limit.

whereas other riders are simply ill-prepared, out of form or just out for a pootle? Nah, sorry. More to it than that. Froome is not just better, that I can accept, he's making others look like part-timers.

yello

It saddens me to see how cynical people have become "Post Armstrong"

Many were cynical and ignored during Armstrong too! ;)

I could accept 'exceptional athlete', I said as much in the same post you called me cynical for, but I want to know that is all that's going on. I'm not pointing a finger ( ;) ), I'm but I am suspicious. Oh, and Merckx could have been doping. ;)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
whereas other riders are simply ill-prepared, out of form or just out for a pootle? Nah, sorry. More to it than that. Froome is not just better, that I can accept, he's making others look like part-timers.
Or making them look like reformed dopers who haven't MTFUd on their training?

The legal principle is innocent until proven guilty, not the other way round.

Reactions: TVC

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
And Merckx was doping, at least some of the time. He got caught...
But doping cannot and does not explain all those great results (even if he had access to blood products... which he didn't).

yello

Why is that when you voice doubt that you suddenly become a pariah? People start reading stuff in that you've not said. I refer you to the post I made above.

"MTFUd"?? So, what, nobody else trains either? :rolleyes:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Sport isn't a court of law.

yello

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-1978--00-280-80.jpg

Ahhh.... I can sleep easily now ;)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wasn't claiming anything other than to assert that Froome is not having a cake-walk here. I don't know enough about doping to judge but I dread to think of what kind of a backlash Froome (and Sky) would have to face if he squeaked any way but cleanly. Imagine the revulsion from the British, who are remembering how to cycle, and whose racers are learning how to win. It would be worse than LA's pariah status.

yello

Only used when I see a witch. No pointy hat or a black cat for Froomedog. IMO.

I thought maybe I was the witch, for daring to question Froome's performances!

Folks, for the record, and again, I could be wrong but I do not believe Froome is doping.

Edit: careful there ILB!

Top Bottom