The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
They are more efficient
just more efficient at making money for the owners in most cases

Which is why utilities and the like need strong regulation by a proper regulator

The irony is that the privatised rail metwork is receiving more in government subsidies than when it was British Rail.
Just head to the Gov UK website and type in " Rail Subsidy " for some eye watering numbers. A sample:

Note: Government support includes total operational funding as well as total enhancements funding and miscellaneous funding. Operational funding includes payments to or from franchised train operators, passenger transport executive grants, payments to infrastructure managers and freight grants. Government support for the operational railway was almost £12 billion in FYE March 2023 – equivalent to more than £420 per household.

Drago

Legendary Member
The irony is that the privatised rail metwork is receiving more in government subsidies than when it was British Rail.
Just head to the Gov UK website and type in " Rail Subsidy " for some eye watering numbers. A sample:

Note: Government support includes total operational funding as well as total enhancements funding and miscellaneous funding. Operational funding includes payments to or from franchised train operators, passenger transport executive grants, payments to infrastructure managers and freight grants. Government support for the operational railway was almost £12 billion in FYE March 2023 – equivalent to more than £420 per household.

I used the railway under public ownership a lot when I was in the army and it was grim.

Been using it a lot again in recent years and it's descending to a level of crapness comparable to the old days.

As neither model seems to work I suggest we put Elon Musk in charge. What could possibly go wrong?

Top Bottom