The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
That's a really sad post. :sad:

I'm not sure that our society has a very good relationship with death.

One of the most natural things that will ever occur to each of us, yet it leaves so much sadness behind.

I wish it could be more celebratory of a life well-lived. And definitely more celebratory than the faux nonsense of some funeral services!
This is something I've given a lot of thought to of late and will continue to for sometime I'm sure. To me you're spot on with this remark.

Several years ago a good friend of mine, he was also Paul, we shared a flat for two years, died a sad and lonely death brought on through alcohol, cigarettes and terrible diet. We had lost touch and on the odd occasion we met there was no hint of the life he was living. He was still the rumbustious, loud, happy man everyone knew from our youth. Long story short there was no one to organise a funeral, no money to pay for one etc. Literally nothing. People began to search out old friends, 30 or more years had passed, and very quickly we decided everyone would chip in and there would be a funeral.................there would also be an appropriate party.

Our hey day was 76- 80 in York, young, free, some cash. It was a tremendous time. We had Paul's body returned to York, organised a cremation and tracked down as many folk as possible to attend. There were a good number who made a great effort to get there. The music? He wasn't reverent man. Paul's casket was brought in to the crematorium to "Time Warp" from the Rocky Horror Show, the coffin moved away behind the curtain to "Fire" by Wizard. We think he would have approved. After the service we all moved on to the Minster. No, not that Minster but the Minster public house which was 500 yards from our flat and the scene of many great nights. It was one hell of a Wake. I got the last train home to Lancashire.

The most joyous thing about the day was many of us hadn't been together in 30 or more years...................you would not have thought a single day had passed.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This is something I've given a lot of thought to of late and will continue to for sometime I'm sure. To me you're spot on with this remark.

Several years ago a good friend of mine, he was also Paul, we shared a flat for two years, died a sad and lonely death brought on through alcohol, cigarettes and terrible diet. We had lost touch and on the odd occasion we met there was no hint of the life he was living. He was still the rumbustious, loud, happy man everyone knew from our youth. Long story short there was no one to organise a funeral, no money to pay for one etc. Literally nothing. People began to search out old friends, 30 or more years had passed, and very quickly we decided everyone would chip in and there would be a funeral.................there would also be an appropriate party.

Our hey day was 76- 80 in York, young, free, some cash. It was a tremendous time. We had Paul's body returned to York, organised a cremation and tracked down as many folk as possible to attend. There were a good number who made a great effort to get there. The music? He wasn't reverent man. Paul's casket was brought in to the crematorium to "Time Warp" from the Rocky Horror Show, the coffin moved away behind the curtain to "Fire" by Wizard. We think he would have approved. After the service we all moved on to the Minster. No, not that Minster but the Minster public house which was 500 yards from our flat and the scene of many great nights. It was one hell of a Wake. I got the last train home to Lancashire.

That's the way to do it! 👍

We are both on the 'direct to crematorium' pathway and Mrs SD wants Woolly Bully belting out as she disappears behind the curtain. 😁

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hmm! I just read that not only IHT & pensions are likely to be clobbered on the 30th, but the stealth tax rise of further frozen tax threshold levels has raised its ugly head. :angry:

My thoughts on this would definitely contravene site rules, so 🤐 for me.

It's only going to get worse.

I heat some people saying but pensioners will be getting £460 next year, but we have post £300 in the winter fuel allowance so in actually fact we will only get £160, a massive £3.36 or thereabouts. And those not on the full pension will get even less..

Methinks they don't like us.

PaulSB

Squire
Good day. The sun has finally come out and it looks as though we will have a glorious afternoon. Celebration time!! Last night we came second in the club quiz. We got a prize..............five jars of chutney and a box of Quality Street. Now the chutney. This is made from apples from the village orchard and other produce people can donate. One lady does all the work and sells the chutney in aid of village funds. She was on our team and clearly delighted to win a jar of her chutney!

Me? Today? I've been mooching. I shall do a little more mooching, have lunch and then we are off to watch the mighty Rovers. First home game for a while and I'm really looking forward to it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Neither Mr WD or I want the hassle of any member if our family having to organise a funeral. We will also be going straight to the crematorium. No fuss. I have no intention of letting a funeral home get their hands on the ludicrous amount of money they charge, just to end up in the same place, for a fraction of the money and cost and hassle

Dave7

Legendary Member

I heat some people saying but pensioners will be getting £460 next year, but we have post £300 in the winter fuel allowance so in actually fact we will only get £160, a massive £3.36 or thereabouts. And those not on the full pension will get even less..

Place your bets.!!!
How long before this is removed for being too political. :rolleyes:

PaulSB

Squire
Hmm! I just read that not only IHT & pensions are likely to be clobbered on the 30th, but the stealth tax rise of further frozen tax threshold levels has raised its ugly head. :angry:

My thoughts on this would definitely contravene site rules, so 🤐 for me.

It's so difficult. I would love to know the opinions of everyone in here but I realise we can't have the discussion.

I find myself quite conflicted by the whole business. There, I must now be silent. 🤐

Dave7

Legendary Member
I did think that when I wrote it. :laugh: :laugh:

My legs still hurt from when the mods slapped me. :smile:

Like a few of you, I still have some of Hilary's dresses, her LBD and some that she made. Everything went to charity shops, I did it a little bit at a time, for it was easier than a massive clearance. Still have all her student French novels, I can't read French, neither can I play the piano I bought her in 1993. I've just had it tuned and when one of the kids is ready, one of them will take it and hopefully play it again.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Place your bets.!!!
How long before this is removed for being too political. :rolleyes:

They only get removed if posts mention or allude to political parties or specific political figures etc.

There is nothing wrong with talking about the world we live in.

For instance: if you wanted to chat about the impact a benefit cut had made on your personal finances that's ok. But if you mentioned that the cut was made by person 'x' of party 'y' then that politicises the chat and it would be edited or removed.

Top Bottom