The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@ebikeerwidnes for your Christmas gravy use cornflour instead of wheat flour. It's gluten free and works just as well though you may need to reduce the quantity or you'll get a rather gloopy mess.

I know - I used to use it when I made it for myself before she moved in

however, she makes gravy the way it is supposed to be made
which is pretty much the same as the way her Mum made it - but better
and certainly better than her sister does!!!

(but not as good as my Mum did but she died before I met SWMBO so I don't have to dodge that salvo of missiles!)

anyway - everything is still a bit of a mystery and different hings and possibilities keep cropping up

I'm not going to do anything for a day or two - if nothing bad has happened for months/years then a day or so won't matter

on which point

WHISKEY!!!

FFS - I've got 2 or 3 bottles of expensive malt in theback of the cupboard which her son buys me every Christmas

SURELY that doesn;t count??

PaulSB

Squire
I know - I used to use it when I made it for myself before she moved in

however, she makes gravy the way it is supposed to be made
which is pretty much the same as the way her Mum made it - but better
and certainly better than her sister does!!!

(but not as good as my Mum did but she died before I met SWMBO so I don't have to dodge that salvo of missiles!)

anyway - everything is still a bit of a mystery and different hings and possibilities keep cropping up

I'm not going to do anything for a day or two - if nothing bad has happened for months/years then a day or so won't matter

on which point

WHISKEY!!!

FFS - I've got 2 or 3 bottles of expensive malt in theback of the cupboard which her son buys me every Christmas

SURELY that doesn;t count??

I'll take those bottles off you.............just to help out of course.....................no Paul, be honest about this. Whisky is gluten free, fill your glass.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Back from Hospital where Mrs TKK was given the all clear 👍. The material removed six months ago was the residue from a golfball sized growth that was removed six months prior to that, and not a sign of regrowth. Thanks for all the kind words of support, I took them to heart and they really did help. My repeated trek up and down the six flights of stairs certainly helped my efforts to strengthen my quads, being a bit of a nerd I was checking my heart rate each time I got to the top and managed to get it up to 135bpm. Speaking of heart rate, there was the usual concern when they were taking Mrs Tkk's vitals before the procedure, as a regular runner she has a resting heart rate in the low 40's, once they knew she was a runner they were reassured that all was ok. No sedatives, just Entinox so we were quickly out of recovery and on the bus back home.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Bugger

Just opened a letter from the hospital saying that I certainly have coeliac disease

not too much of a shock as I had it as a baby (or so my parents told me!) and "grew out of it
so the possibility of it coming back to say hello was always a possibility

but a right bugger as they want me to go on a gluten free diet
which means no bread, biscuits, cake OR BEER!!!!

honestly - I might just as well go out riding my bike with no helmet on!!!!
(sorry)

anyway - SWMBO has already declared that the gravy with Christmas Dinner WILL be made with flour

apparently there are limits to how much she loves me!!!!

anyway - I have had a better look online at what it means and it is more complicated than I thought - apparently even oats can be a problem

apparently I am supposed ot have an appointment with a dietician - bit pointless if it is in 6 months time which is not impossible gievn the way things are at the moment but we shall see!

Gluten free beer is available and it's good. I've visited the taproom of Bellfield brewery, and had a tour of the setup.
https://www.bellfieldbrewery.com/pages/about-us
I followed a Gluten free diet for about seven months. The gluten free bread was a bit naff a decade or so back, I'm sure that the range of available stuff has improved. Part of my Saturday fry was to bake a large jacket potato until almost done, then slice it into 1/4" thick slices and fry them in the pan before slathering beans over the top and adding scrambled eggs.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

You could always drink cider.....

Wash your mouth out!!!!

Cider is for teenagers in a park

and weird people in the sticky out bit in the South on the left
and I seem to remember being offered some by some "friendly" farmers in Normandy when I was a teenager
One of us drank quite a lot and was very ill for about 3 days!!!

anyway - hardly a substitute for proper beer!!!

Top Bottom