The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Top left for me too.

Pleasant 5 mile wander done and now half way through my shredded wheat with blueberries and a dollop of Fage yoghurt.

" Knotted Twine " in Dulux Professional parlance. It made the final but eventually went for bottom left after seeing it in various lighting conditions, and being such a large slab of colour we went for the slightly lighter tone of " Pale Wallnut ".
As an aside, the decorator sent us to the local Dulux Trade Centre. It was quite a revelation, a bit like Screwfix but for paint and ancilliaries. They had sample pots of some of the colours on display, but not for three of the colours. In a few minutes they had mixed up 250ml sample pots, and said that they would deduct the cost of the pot from whichever colour we chose. The prices were a bit of an eye opener too, certainly worth a visit if you have one local to you.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Porridge with a dollop of honey and mixed berries for breakfast, and very nice it was. I do like porridge when the weather turns cooler.

Just a thought, what is the normal male to female mix in the group. Before anyone jumps to conclusions I am not after another partner, I just do not normally enjoy male group company, one of the reason you are unlikely to find me in our local pub unless there is a band on.

Speaking from my experience of a few of the U3A groups in Edinburgh you need have no worries on that score. Of the ones I’ve tried, based on walking, cycling, and bird watching, they are overwhelmingly female. As are all of the local Ramblers groups that I have tried.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just a thought, what is the normal male to female mix in the group. Before anyone jumps to conclusions I am not after another partner, I just do not normally enjoy male group company, one of the reason you are unlikely to find me in our local pub unless there is a band on.

Don't have a lot of experience of U3A (we joined, briefly, to encourage a friend to join, the U3A groups local to us are predominantly female.

It does seem like a good option if you want to have company on a variety of activities, from our brief experience.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Have you ever looked at a job that seemed like a good idea at the time, but then you quickly realise that you wish you had never started?

Well thats me. Paint the kitchen, what can go wrong, well you can take the doors off the cupboards and find a multitude of of things that you had forgotten you had, things that are out of date, things and cupboards that need to be cleaned before you carry on painting. Well that day is today. :wacko:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Pizza again today. Its quick and easy especially with the kitchen as it is.

Hmm - might look at the local U3A thingy
some history stuff that the wife might be interested in - she isn;t a great joiner!!

Some other things I might like

anyway - been busy
got a Ring doorbell working for the local FoodBank
someone had an old one lying around and donated it - and they thought it might be a good idea for the "new office" (lodge at the local cemetary)
It is a bit deserted and most of the people who might work there are female and alone so the ability to see who is outside is a good idea
I was looking for an outdoor webcam - but as this is free.....

anyway - wouldn;t configure at "the office" - probably just too little electron so I brought it home and did it here

now I just have to tell them how to use it!!!

anyway - late this afternoon a landscaper is coming round to re-do the driveway and patio
It was done a while ago but they made a bad job it it overall so it needs re-laying properly

so - naturally - we have to thoroughly clean the whole downstairs
presumably because landscaper are notoriously fussy about fluff and crumbs on a table and carpet??

anyway - mostly done now - sitting down and having a post lunch cuppa!

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Have you ever looked at a job that seemed like a good idea at the time, but then you quickly realise that you wish you had never started?

I'm in that situation at the moment.
I thought I'd change the crank seals on my Montesa trials bike.
One is located behind the primary drive gear as arrowed in the picture.
IMG_20241008_114610542_HDR~2.jpg

I'd read on a forum that the gear pinion can be a buggar to remove. They are right!
It's only held on by a taper, but so far I've broken two pullers and it hasn't budged.
I've applied heat, used a heavy duty puller I've had for years and hit it with an air impact gun - result...... broken puller and pinion still in place. :angry:
Last ditch effort - I've ordered a genuine Montesa puller - £38. If that don't work I'll have to look at my options.
I've never, in over 50 years of working on bikes, had anything ever defeat me. This might be a first! :wacko:

Last edited:
Top Bottom