The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I have to answer this. I'm a committee member and Treasurer for our u3a. Each individual u3a is a charity in its own right. A committee member is automatically a trustee of the charity. As trustees, collectively and individually, we have very significant responsibilities to the charity and the individual u3a members. The Charity Commission requires any charity to have a raft of policies and procedures in place. Every year as Treasurer I sign a legally binding declaration that we have said policies in place.

The H&S policy requires members to wear helmets as does the insurance cover.

It's far from being irrational. The policies exist to protect individual members and those who organise events on their behalf.

Thanks for replying - this makes more sense than the answer I was given, which was that the three individuals who started the cycling group made the rules and weren't going to change them, i.e. typical magic plastic hat evangelists.
However:
1) most other U3A cycling groups in the East Midlands seem to make no such requirement,
2) this rule was made in direct contravention of the national guidelines which clearly state:
" • You may want to encourage people to think about their personal safety by wearing helmets,
appropriate clothing, etc, BUT you cannot be prescriptive, as it is personal choice in UK", (Their emphasis)
3) it looks as if U3A may have laid the law down to the high priests, as this irrational nonsense is no longer enforced, according to their
web page:
"Principles for the group
It is important that anyone considering riding with the group reads and fully complies with the Principles for the Cycling Group which are:

We expect all members to keep their bicycles in good and roadworthy condition.
All E-bikes should be sufficiently charged prior to the ride.
We would prefer members to wear Helmets and Visible clothing on our rides.
We expect members to obey the rules of the road and to respect all other road users." (My emphasis).

I may just approach them again, on this basis.

Ahh I've seen those. To be honest, I think they look stupid. I wouldn't wear one in a million years.

You and me both

People of good taste clearly!

Thanks for replying - this makes more sense than the answer I was given, which was that the three individuals who started the cycling group made the rules and weren't going to change them, i.e. typical magic plastic hat evangelists.
However:
1) most other U3A cycling groups in the East Midlands seem to make no such requirement,
2) this rule was made in direct contravention of the national guidelines which clearly state:
" • You may want to encourage people to think about their personal safety by wearing helmets,
appropriate clothing, etc, BUT you cannot be prescriptive, as it is personal choice in UK", (Their emphasis)
3) it looks as if U3A may have laid the law down to the high priests, as this irrational nonsense is no longer enforced, according to their
web page:
"Principles for the group
It is important that anyone considering riding with the group reads and fully complies with the Principles for the Cycling Group which are:

We expect all members to keep their bicycles in good and roadworthy condition.
All E-bikes should be sufficiently charged prior to the ride.
We would prefer members to wear Helmets and Visible clothing on our rides.
We expect members to obey the rules of the road and to respect all other road users." (My emphasis).

I may just approach them again, on this basis.

I tried one of the Edinburgh U3A cycling rides. Their ability to ride as a group was appalling. One of the worst aspects was their failure to alert the riders behind them to potholes and other hazards. When I observed about this I got the pompous reply “We use our eyes”. I baled out of the ride as I just didn’t feel safe in their company.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Got a hair cut this morning ( £8.50 for O.A.Ps ) but I paid £10 cos I felt generous then I went for a 45 kms ride to see my son.
When I took Molly to the park 30 minutes ago , I run into this man who gives Molly a treat every time he sees her. He told me that a cyclist got killed by a camper van this morning at a mini roundabout at the end of our road. He didn't know how it happened but very sad news.

BigSid

Guru
Have you ever looked at a job that seemed like a good idea at the time, but then you quickly realise that you wish you had never started?
I'm in that situation at the moment.
I thought I'd change the crank seals on my Montesa trials bike.

I'd read on a forum that the gear pinion can be a buggar to remove. They are right!
It's only held on by a taper, but so far I've broken two pullers and it hasn't budged.
I've applied heat, used a heavy duty puller I've had for years and hit it with an air impact gun - result...... broken puller and pinion still in place. :angry:
Last ditch effort - I've ordered a genuine Montesa puller - £38. If that don't work I'll have to look at my options.
I've never, in over 50 years of working on bikes, had anything ever defeat me. This might be a first! :wacko:

Every 20 minute job is one broken bolt away from being a three day nightmare.

Drago

Legendary Member
I tried one of the Edinburgh U3A cycling rides. Their ability to ride as a group was appalling. One of the worst aspects was their failure to alert the riders behind them to potholes and other hazards. When I observed about this I got the pompous reply “We use our eyes”. I baled out of the ride as I just didn’t feel safe in their company.

And I expect none of them are advanced road skills qualified, ride leaders, group riding qualified, etc.

I'm all of those things and steer well clear of such group rides for the reasons you site. They're dangerous. Even worse, they're willfully blind to it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Wearing nothing else, just a poncho :laugh:

And it's a micro mini poncho. :wacko:

Exlaser2

Veteran
What a day :wacko: Morning was OK, did a couple of hours of work, it all went wrong when I took my son out for a driving lesson, I thought he was bloody rude and didn’t listen, he thought I was impatient so we had a massive falling out, mainly my fault as I have an unbelievably short fuse. So some bridges to build :sad:

This is so common. My father in law taught his three older children ( including mrs exlaser) to drive no problem . His youngest daughter lasted 3 and a half lessons . The half because she parked the car in the middle of the road , got out and walked home 😀.
My daughter has been learning to for ages, her instructor says she drives well but she has trouble passing the test . Recently I’ve been taking her out for extra driving lessons as well as the proper ones she is having .
I am finding it incredibly frustrating as, yes she drives really well but just as you think everything is great , she makes a silly mistake. And we have also had words now and then 😀 but luckily neither of us take it personally. 😀😀

Last edited:
That's it, I am officially cream crackered ad I haven't finished yet. 3 walls done. One needs another coat of paint then all I have to do is the ceiling.

one cupboard door done, still to do the others, oh and I cleaned out all the cupboards as well along with everything in them, then put everything back minus 1 or 5 things that I found in the back of cupboards like old plastic measuring things, a cable to something we threw out years ago, and even a few things I don't even have a clue as to what they are. Oh and I found the Instructions for the washing machine as well. A bit late now as we've had it for about 6 years but sill :laugh:

We have always done ceilings first because when near the walls you may get drips/splashes from the ceiling onto the walls.

Exlaser2

Veteran

I have to say, I know I am in the minority on this but I really dislike group riding, for two main reasons
1) I dislike riding at someone’s else’s pace and rhythm .
2) The constant noise of people pointing out dangers that are not dangerous. ( this could be because I am a grumpy old git 😂 )
If I do ever get urge for a group ride these days, I go out with the local CTC group which always a very relaxed affair with the added bonus of not needing to wear a helmet.

Gunk

Guru
I have to say, I know I am in the minority on this but I really dislike group riding, for two main reasons
1) I dislike riding at someone’s else’s pace and rhythm .
2) The constant noise of people pointing out dangers that are not dangerous. ( this could be because I am a grumpy old git 😂 )
If I do ever get urge for a group ride these days, I go out with the local CTC group which always a very relaxed affair with the added bonus of not needing to wear a helmet.

Me too, hate it, it’s because of my natural aversion to rules and authority.

Top Bottom