The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
@screenman I keep forgetting this, it might be useful to you. I've read some of your posts in the Mental Health thread and thought of the u3a.

I'm a member and Treasurer of our local u3a. This is a "movement," for want of a better word, of 1200+ autonomous local u3as. The umbrella organisation used to be known as The University of the Third Age. It's probably best to ignore that title, University discouraged a lot of people. The motto is "live, laugh, learn."

In my experience the groups are very social and a great way for older folk like us to make new friends, try new experiences, interests etc. You may find more than one group in your area, try them all as each is different.

I know you keep very busy, this might offer a new busy rather than some which hold difficult memories.

You can find more info at u3a.org.uk

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning gang!!!
I have a Mr Fixit coming to do some work for me today.
1st on the list is to fit and wire in a Dimplex wall heater in the bathroom. This entails running a wire from the garage, along the outside and through the bathroom wall.
2nd is to re grout the shower glass as the water escapes in several places.
There are other jobs...... probably 2 days work.
Meanwhile I am 'thinking' of making & batch freezing a slow cooker lamb curry. Jury is still out on that one.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Coooooeee. Its a lot warmer here at 11 deg but it'd supposes to be wetter as well.

Guess what I'm doing today. Yes, more painting. I've just moved some stuff out-of the way and as soon as I have me coffee I will get the paint out again

Stay safe peeps. :hello:

We're posh, we're getting a decorator in to do our hall, stairs and landing.😉 I’ve previously done it myself, but my autopilot system is unreliable so Mrs Tkk thinks I might come a cropper and banjax myself.
We decided on a change from magnolia and here are the final four candidates. What do you think?

IMG_6626.jpeg

IMG_6626.jpeg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all from a misty Barnet. It's quite thick with visibility down to about 100 yards.
Sainsbury's are delivering the weekly goodies a little later, and I am going to cook a steak and kidney pie, with ale as the basis for the the stock.
I'll try to get out on the bike later on to keep the legs ticking over. Apart from that, all the usual things to do today, dog walking, domestics and a few tiny DIY jobs that wont take long at all.

screenman

Legendary Member
@screenman I keep forgetting this, it might be useful to you. I've read some of your posts in the Mental Health thread and thought of the u3a.

I'm a member and Treasurer of our local u3a. This is a "movement," for want of a better word, of 1200+ autonomous local u3as. The umbrella organisation used to be known as The University of the Third Age. It's probably best to ignore that title, University discouraged a lot of people. The motto is "live, laugh, learn."

In my experience the groups are very social and a great way for older folk like us to make new friends, try new experiences, interests etc. You may find more than one group in your area, try them all as each is different.

I know you keep very busy, this might offer a new busy rather than some which hold difficult memories.

You can find more info at u3a.org.uk

Just a thought, what is the normal male to female mix in the group. Before anyone jumps to conclusions I am not after another partner, I just do not normally enjoy male group company, one of the reason you are unlikely to find me in our local pub unless there is a band on.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We're posh, we're getting a decorator in to do our hall, stairs and landing.😉 I’ve previously done it myself, but my autopilot system is unreliable so Mrs Tkk thinks I might come a cropper and banjax myself.
We decided on a change from magnolia and here are the final four candidates. What do you think?

View attachment 749235

View attachment 749235

I like the top left. A nice dove grey.

I prefer to do things myself. It's cheaper :laugh:

I think Mr WD might use the painting as an excuse for more fish and chips.

Dave7

Legendary Member

View attachment 749235

View attachment 749235

Like to help but I am the world's worst at colour coordinatiion.
Re calling in a decorator.
Well before my legs went I decided enough was enough. Long drops using 2 ladders and a plank used to be fine but I recall the actual day when I was up a ladder and realised that was it, no more!

Mo1959

Legendary Member

View attachment 749235

View attachment 749235

Top left for me too.

Pleasant 5 mile wander done and now half way through my shredded wheat with blueberries and a dollop of Fage yoghurt.

Top Bottom