The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Where you from Classic ? That's something we used to say, 'I'll sithi' ( 'see ya later' kind of thing) in Notts in the 70s

I believe he comes from the so called, God's own County of Yorkshire.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Lucky guy, I seem to have been abandoned here, only two meals done for me in seven months, despite all the promise back in March. Pam used to be the family feeder, my weekly shop has dropped from around £160++ a week to £35.

We have a friend whose wife does virtually everything (cleaning, cooking, diy, gardening, car cleaning etc...) whilst he plays golf!

I can imagine him having a real tough time if she were to 'go' first.

Yes, it is. We had the same a couple of weeks back. Does seem strange.

Possibly different depots?

I have also seeing Amazon Prime vans coming down our street 3 or 4 times in one day

I presume it makes sense if you know the overall context

but it makes no sense when you just see the vans coming and going

When I worked for a large Mail Order company we had the same problem - but I saw it from the point of view of the company
and if someone had a 24 hour delivery order to be delivered then it would normally get sent out without things in the same place but which could wait a day or so
Sometimes Senior Manglement would come along and try to make it all more efficient for a year or so
then it all got changed back once someone higher up found that customers were complaining more and more
I worked there for 20 years and it constantly went from "the Customer Comes First" to "!We Need to Improve Efficency" and back again

SpokeyDokey

Where to start..

I have worked for the same company in Denmark for 21 years and have been looked after very well. I was lucky enough to fall into a job that is as much a hobby as it is a job. I am a sail maker.

Earlier this month 9 of my collegues got notice that they were being let go due to 'reorganisation'. There was no hint of this coming, not a clue. Amongst those being fired was the production manager (14 years service) a guy in QC, 17 years service and a collegue who I have worked alongside every day for the past 11 years. Plus another 120 workers in our Tunisia loft.

The management has only been in place for 3 years and know nothing about the sail making business or this companies ethics.

I have tried for 2 weeks to get them to fire me and keep my collegue. It makes better business sense for the company. My collegue works in the area the company is heading and is more knowlegable in that area than I am. I reach retirement age in May and he is in his 30s.

I considered resigning to force their hand to keep him on. But it is obvious they would let me resign and still fire him. Which is mind boggingly dumb. Because nobody else can do our job .

I was all set to pick my bag up and walk out the door but have been convinced by everyone concerned to stay on until May and then retire. My mind cannot get over how the management will not listen to the common sense that everyone is telling them.

I have been told that I have done all I can and now need to look after myself and my family. I can see getting to the end of December will be ok. But May is a long stretch.

Financially, I could have left years ago. But it has been good fun and I work with great people. I like my work. But the ethos of the company has changed and its all about the money and sod the staff. Our experience and knowledge means nothing.

I think when you do not feel respected or valued. Then thats a good time to pack up and leave. I am just pleased it came at this time in my working life.

I am not understanding why: you are ok financially, clearly are out of love with the company and see next May as being a long-haul yet are not leaving now.

SpokeyDokey

Cold start to the day.

What's in store today? Short walk, turbo and multi-gym to start. Then start new book as I just finished one this morning. And plenty of dossing later on.

Had both jabs yesterday and, as per usual, no side effects apart from a tiny patch of sore arm on the covide jab side. I seem to be luckier than quite a few post-jab peeps.

Really enjoyed Il Lombarida yesterday and Tadej almost, but not quite, inspired me to get out on my bike. It's been a bad year for cycling and hiking here although, tbh, I think I look for excuses not to do things these days especially if it is cold or wet or windy, outside.

Have a good day all.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
We have a friend whose wife does virtually everything (cleaning, cooking, diy, gardening, car cleaning etc...) whilst he plays golf!

I can imagine him having a real tough time if she were to 'go' first.

My dad was like that........very old school. He didn't even know how to turn the washing machine on. I think men in his time were hard workers and provided the wage, but the wife was for looking after kids, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Top Bottom