The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning. It’s dark and cold but dry. Out early for a decent walk now.

Weekly weigh in done and another 2 pounds down. Only puts me back to what I was at the start of the year but better than continuing to go up! Apart from no sugars/flour I think cutting out any snacking between meals is maybe making the most difference. I was a bad snacker.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Where to start..

I have worked for the same company in Denmark for 21 years and have been looked after very well. I was lucky enough to fall into a job that is as much a hobby as it is a job. I am a sail maker.

Earlier this month 9 of my collegues got notice that they were being let go due to 'reorganisation'. There was no hint of this coming, not a clue. Amongst those being fired was the production manager (14 years service) a guy in QC, 17 years service and a collegue who I have worked alongside every day for the past 11 years. Plus another 120 workers in our Tunisia loft.

The management has only been in place for 3 years and know nothing about the sail making business or this companies ethics.

I have tried for 2 weeks to get them to fire me and keep my collegue. It makes better business sense for the company. My collegue works in the area the company is heading and is more knowlegable in that area than I am. I reach retirement age in May and he is in his 30s.

I considered resigning to force their hand to keep him on. But it is obvious they would let me resign and still fire him. Which is mind boggingly dumb. Because nobody else can do our job .

I was all set to pick my bag up and walk out the door but have been convinced by everyone concerned to stay on until May and then retire. My mind cannot get over how the management will not listen to the common sense that everyone is telling them.

I have been told that I have done all I can and now need to look after myself and my family. I can see getting to the end of December will be ok. But May is a long stretch.

Financially, I could have left years ago. But it has been good fun and I work with great people. I like my work. But the ethos of the company has changed and its all about the money and sod the staff. Our experience and knowledge means nothing.

I think when you do not feel respected or valued. Then thats a good time to pack up and leave. I am just pleased it came at this time in my working life.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Where to start..

I have worked for the same company in Denmark for 21 years and have been looked after very well. I was lucky enough to fall into a job that is as much a hobby as it is a job. I am a sail maker.

Earlier this month 9 of my collegues got notice that they were being let go due to 'reorganisation'. There was no hint of this coming, not a clue. Amongst those being fired was the production manager (14 years service) a guy in QC, 17 years service and a collegue who I have worked alongside every day for the past 11 years. Plus another 120 workers in our Tunisia loft.

The management has only been in place for 3 years and know nothing about the sail making business or this companies ethics.

I have tried for 2 weeks to get them to fire me and keep my collegue. It makes better business sense for the company. My collegue works in the area the company is heading and is more knowlegable in that area than I am. I reach retirement age in May and he is in his 30s.

I considered resigning to force their hand to keep him on. But it is obvious they would let me resign and still fire him. Which is mind boggingly dumb. Because nobody else can do our job .

I was all set to pick my bag up and walk out the door but have been convinced by everyone concerned to stay on until May and then retire. My mind cannot get over how the management will not listen to the common sense that everyone is telling them.

I have been told that I have done all I can and now need to look after myself and my family. I can see getting to the end of December will be ok. But May is a long stretch.

Financially, I could have left years ago. But it has been good fun and I work with great people. I like my work. But the ethos of the company has changed and its all about the money and sod the staff. Our experience and knowledge means nothing.

I think when you do not feel respected or valued. Then thats a good time to pack up and leave. I am just pleased it came at this time in my working life.
That's a really damning indictment of the new management. I expect the reason that they are not listening to reason is because they feel they may lose face, so they would rather cut of their nose to spite their face. Kudos to you for volunteering to do the right thing, I'd like to think that I would do the same in similar circumstances.
Sounds like the company is in a downward spiral.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Where to start..

Some companies can be like that. At least you don't need to stay for the money. I hope you enjoy you're retirement.

mikeIow

Guru
Where to start..

Sounds dreadful.
That situation would tip me over the edge, I have to say. My notice would be in.
Although my preference would be to retire perhaps in February, as the days start getting longer…..maybe speak some more with those who are left - the ones you describe as “everyone concerned”…not forgetting the 9 who have already been “let go” 😒

Best of luck

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all.
The sun is coming up and looks to be a nice day in the offing.
Millie and myself will be across the fields shortly, and then we are off to walk part of the Grand Union canal path near to Berkhamsted. We are then meeting up with an ex colleague from work and his wife for lunch at a canal side pub in Bourne End.
Today will be a relaxing day. No jobs to be done.
Six and a half years in, I'm still really enjoying retirement. 😁

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning everyone, all this talk of chilly weather has me looking at my weather map and I see that it's a balmy 5 degrees here in Dorset. Planning on getting out for a run soon, perhaps it's time for the wooly had to come out. Not a lot planned for the rest of the day, will see what I can do in the garden.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Morning folks :okay: Decidedly parky here so will wait a couple of hours [ice avoidance] before a spin over to Loch Fleet, park myself on the bench and watch the wildlife. Im hoping my new snood arrives in the post before heading out :okay:
My neighbours new car has already gone back for repairs...something to do with 'lane assist' and the super duper high tech that helpfully guides the driver into an oncoming arctic :laugh:
DSCF5686.JPG

Top Bottom