The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Mr WD is on the steps cleaning the ceiling that I can't reach. He is complaining that his back is hurting.

You work him too hard

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Salut. Beautiful day today, just like a spring day. So far, still going to Carnarfon early afternoon unless we hear otherwise before that.
I was watching a YouTube video of this ex pro cyclists who won 2 stages of the TdF in 1966. He is now 90 years old and he said he did about 40 kms in his car in one month compared to 800 kms on his bike. He rides every day, weather permitting.
He is a good example to all of us then.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
New car shopping this morning, can’t understand how dealers sell any cars, first one they couldn’t have been less interested, second one absolutely nowhere to park so we gave up!

Similar experience last time I bought a new car. Chose what I wanted, but, dealer could not get colour I wanted. That seemed to cause things to grind to a halt. The dealer was part of a “chain”, I found exactly what I was looking for at another branch about 10 miles away. I could not help but think “couldn’t the salesman have done that?”

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
To be fair, he also praised the budget Decathlon boots. I thought it a refreshingly honest review compared to a lot of the thinly disguised rehashing of the manufacturers advertising blurb that so many " reviews " are.

I didn't suggest that he only praised the expensive boots. :smile:

I also hate those manufacturers blurb 'reviews' - complete waste of time. :angry:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Similar experience last time I bought a new car. Chose what I wanted, but, dealer could not get colour I wanted. That seemed to cause things to grind to a halt. The dealer was part of a “chain”, I found exactly what I was looking for at another branch about 10 miles away. I could not help but think “couldn’t the salesman have done that?”

On the subject of buying cars, if it wasn't for PCP, the car market, new and used, would collapse as cars are so expensive these days.

SpokeyDokey

At a slight tangent:

I don't understand how new car salesmen are often unaware of the specification and features of specific models.

SpokeyDokey

I’m certainly not taking £40,000 out of my investments to buy a new car, we will lease this one through our business and run it as a company car, we’ll go electric this time so there is virtually no benefit in kind.

Similar here. We shy away from taking money out of our savings & investments, almost by default.

Our last car was £26k and we took out a PCP as the interest rate was less than our return on investments.

Admittedly marginal gains, but every little helps!

I think PCP's get a bad rap from some people. Not sure why, though.

Top Bottom