The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
With all @Mo1959 epic walking had me thinking about my walking gear. Coincidentally there was an excellent article on ( Mens, though if there's a ladies version of each boot reviewed, that would be relevant ) walking boots in the Guardian earlier in the week. The reviewer is an experienced walker and he is really good at explaining the why's and wherefore's of his choices.

https://www.theguardian.com/thefilter/2024/oct/10/best-walking-boots-hiking-men-tried-tested

Those +£400 Danner boots, never heard of the make, are mighty pricey!

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Crikey, there were a lot of out of condition looking oldies in the surgery. I guess time, illness, poor diet and lack of exercise has caught up with them. :sad:

The sad thing is that most of them are probably younger than us.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The sad thing is that most of them are probably younger than us.

Out of maybe 30 people, only 4, including me, looked what I would call noticeably fit and in shape.

I don't make a habit of checking people out, but this once a year event always makes me think of the need to stay as fit and healthy as you can, when older.

Do your best, hope that luck is with you, and wish that something nasty doesn't clobber you, is my motto. ^_^

Exlaser2

Veteran
One of those days that makes you think thank goodness I packed it all in, met a pal on our motorbikes at Gilkes Garage Cafe at Kineton https://gilksgaragecafe.com/ also a favourite stop with the hardcore sports cyclists because of the climb out of Kineton. Absolutely freezing this morning, coldest 80 miles I’ve ridden for a long time but the skies were blue and the views amazing, so all worth it.

View attachment 748779

View attachment 748780

Gave my son another driving lesson this afternoon before he starts his official, proper lessons next week, he’s a natural and has picked it up really quickly. Now enjoying a beer with a dark meat pie in the oven.

Mrs exlasers favourite cafe .
Might have something to do with her now working in the village three days a week . 😀

Drago

Legendary Member
As worn by one Mr J. Bond.

The firearms boys and walts like them. The one advantage is they can be resoled, but so can Highlander boots at half the price andmI far prefer rhe latter.

screenman

Legendary Member
I quite like Merrell boots as a fairly inexpensive option, the downside being I think that Mike Ashley owns the brand.

Owned by Wolverine Worldwide, he does not have many, if any, in Sports Direct, which also leads me to think he has no connection. I am also a fan of Merrel shoes. My genuine Brasher walking boots are only 30 years old, so they are not due for a change yet.

Top Bottom