The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Back from the optician and £170 poorer but not too bad really as it covers the cost of 2 pairs of long vision glasses: one normal and one sunglasses. I am also with the Welsh Hospital scheme so I should get £125 back.

Before I left home, my eldest brother was on a video call from France to tell me that my other brother who will be 79 next month is going worse. He suffers from Charco disease which is a more aggressive case of MS. He is now completely paralysed and can't even feed himself. He also has great difficulty to speak. When he was first diagnosed with it, doctors told him that life expectancy was 3 to 4 years and that was over 3 years ago.
Shame that euthanasia is illegal in France as he has had enough and wishes to go.

Yes, the whole anti-euthanasia mob can go take a long jump off a short pier as far as I'm concerned.

When I was mis-diagnosed with MND 8 years ago (took 6 months to get the all clear), the Dignitas option in Switzerland was mutually agreed between the pair of us.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Steak & Stilton pies tonight, from our local farm shop. :hungry:

Steak and stir fry for me.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
:laugh: Shouldn’t laugh really as it’s true!

IMG_0337.jpeg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yes, the whole anti-euthanasia mob can go take a long jump off a short pier as far as I'm concerned.

When I was mis-diagnosed with MND 8 years ago (took 6 months to get the all clear), the Dignitas option in Switzerland was mutually agreed between the pair of us.

No way will I go out like that. I see a law similar to the dignitas one in Switzerland is going to be put to parliament. I hope it passes.

PaulSB

Squire
Good evening. Jeez it's been a busy few days, 18 pages skipped so I see you have all been busy too...............chatting! :laugh: My week? Granddaughter came for a sleepover Tuesday/Wednesday. This was an 09.00 pick up Tuesday, deliver home to parents 7.00pm Wednesday. :blink: She is wonderful, we've had two great days and I'm knackered. In other news I rode my Cervelo with my usual buddies for the first time since the off. It was a wonderful feeling. I ached all over the next day but 25 miles, 14mph average is not bad after a 14 week layoff. My injuries didn't react, excellent news and above all I felt confident.

I will try to catch up later. 18 pages? Hmmm...............

screenman

Legendary Member
I found Specsavers extremely poor; I guess it depends on which franchise owner you get; it also disturbs me that the owners are worth over a billion pounds. I used them for about ten years, and each time they said I needed new glasses, the last ones they made left a prism out of the prescription, I am 2 up and 2 down, and they put 0 up and 2 down; they had to give me my money back.. Whilst Vision Express over the last 4 years has, each test said no new ones are needed; the only reason I have purchased new ones this visit is due to mine being damaged.

Exlaser2

Veteran
Re glasses . It’s all a bit and miss these days now it’s mostly chains. Mrs Exlaser has had problems with Boots, Specsavers, Visionexpress and Asda. Various things, wrong lens and poor fitting glasses being the most common. Me on the other, have mostly used independent ones. The first one I used for years, prices were good and I never had any problems until it was taken over by one of the chains.
The one I use now is great , the quality of the glasses and lens are terrific and they are always right first time .I do pay more for them , but it’s worth it to me to be problem free. 😀
( This might have something to do with the fact that Mrs Exlaser moans for months everytime she has new glasses) 😂😀.

Last edited:

Exlaser2

Veteran
I have only met one person from on here, I would certainly like to meet more.

But what if none of us are what we say we are 😂. So instead of being a group of mature ( in body anyway ) people of various backgrounds held together by a love of cycles and cycling, we are just a group of forum trolls stinging you along. Most of us could be spotty teenagers posting fake stories from our bedrooms 😂😂😂.

So now that surreal conspiracy theory is out there, I think it’s time for bed. 😀
Night night everyone . 😀

screenman

Legendary Member
But what if none of us are what we say we are 😂. So instead of being a group of mature ( in body anyway ) people of various backgrounds held together by a love of cycles and cycling, we are just a group of forum trolls stinging you along. Most of us could be spotty teenagers posting fake stories from our bedrooms 😂😂😂.

So now that surreal conspiracy theory is out there, I think it’s time for bed. 😀
Night night everyone . 😀

Night.

screenman

Legendary Member

Night night everyone . 😀

Only oldies could be as daft as us lot.

Top Bottom