The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Grass successfully cut!

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I have done that but for some reason was just not comfortable with them.
Google tells me the Asda opticians get good reviews.

I used to use Specsavers but never felt that I was getting a proper check so went to Boots. The test was fine but their glasses were expensive so I used the prescription at Specsavers, however when I got the glasses, I couldn't see. I got them checked at Specsavers and they confirmed they had made them to the spec advised by Boots, so I went back to Boots and had another test (free this time) and it came out totally different. I got an apology from the new optician saying he didn't know what the previous one had done. I took the new prescription back to Specsavers who didn't want to do it this time, and insisted I had a test done with them. I argued that I'd already had 2 and after checking with the manager they okayed it but wouldn't offer a guarantee if it was wrong again.
After all of that hassle, I didn't have another check for about 5 years (Covid restrictions didn't help) but then decided I needed a check so ended up going to Asda after a recommendation from a friend and I must admit they were great. The staff were helpful, the optician was fine and the glasses were reasonable (if I recall, 2 pairs for £140).

pawl

Legendary Member
My eyesight has got a fair bit worse over the last ten years. I can’t read without them and I use distance for telly watching and driving. Might try the varifocals again next time. I didn’t like them last time I tried and they swapped them for a pair of reading and pair for distance but it’s a pain swapping back and forward. Maybe if I persevere longer I would get used to them. Most folk that use them say they are great and wouldn’t go back to having to use two pairs.

When I changed from reading glasses I changed to varifocalls After two or three days they were fine.I wouldn’t go back to bifocals.

I have used Spec Savers for several years.find service excellent

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Back from the optician and £170 poorer but not too bad really as it covers the cost of 2 pairs of long vision glasses: one normal and one sunglasses. I am also with the Welsh Hospital scheme so I should get £125 back.

Before I left home, my eldest brother was on a video call from France to tell me that my other brother who will be 79 next month is going worse. He suffers from Charco disease which is a more aggressive case of MS. He is now completely paralysed and can't even feed himself. He also has great difficulty to speak. When he was first diagnosed with it, doctors told him that life expectancy was 3 to 4 years and that was over 3 years ago.
Shame that euthanasia is illegal in France as he has had enough and wishes to go.

Top Bottom