The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Awake in bed till going on four, then awake from just before six.

I went to bed at 10:00 as I was tired......but nothing happened :sad:

I am currently watching Shania on youtube, I really enjoy just letting it choose my music after a I have made my first selection.

dangerous that

you start watching something good

then it moves onto something like AC DC
then you move to ZZ Top

then you get FreeBird

and before you know it you could end up with a trump speach!!!!

I try not to let a computer decide my selection for me
( and must stop watching videos on Facebook as it is doing exactly that!!!
damn insidious this techy stuff!!!)

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Hassle nothing but hassle just had another letter from the TV licensing people they are going to pay me a visit, on the 28/08 I filled out a declatation saying I don't have a TV and I don't watch any live streaming, it really winds me up for the last 10 years I've been tell them NO TV.

Pretty sure you don’t have to let them in. I grudge the tv licence slightly but I am a keen tv watcher so feel I get my monies worth thankfully.

gbb

Squire
This reminds me of a situation with daughter no 3 (a, shall we say, well endowed young lady). D3 chose to work in what was, at the time, a male dominated industry (Civil Engineering). In the office in which she worked, there was one chap who had great difficult taking his eyes off her "assets". One day, growing increasingly irritated by this D3 said, "George, would you mind looking at my face when you are talking to me, instead of my breasts".

I thought is was rather brave of her, as an 20 year old, to take a stand in this way. I believe that, from then on, George did manage to re-align his eyes. :laugh:

I got caught like this by a colleague once and tbf, as I explained to her, I was genuinely, momentarily studying the badge on her top...
We were talking, the badge caught my eye and she said....(with a laugh)
Errr, I'm up here Colin !

We laughed, I explained, she was fine. It was apparently a regular thing for her.

As a counter to this, I walked into the office at a former employers as a contractor walked out. Two of the young ladies (i used to say girls but even that nowadays seems inappropriate) in the office were heads together and Abbi was complaining...huh, he didn't even notice.

I asked, noticed what ?
She thrust her chest out and said 'these'
I said, you don't mind then ?
No she said they're my best assets...

All light hearted of course.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
That’s terrific for you that you still get joy out of it .

But we are all different. I for one am at the other end of the work love spectrum.
I never enjoyed a single day I ever had working , that’s not to say a lot weren’t ok they were , but most of my work days were just things i got though to earn the the money to do things I liked, nothing more . I have never been happier since I stopped working and having to spend time with people I didn’t like.
I suspect most people fit between our two extremes. 😂😀

Night night everyone .

I was at one end of the extreme range ie I loved my career. I really enjoyed the challenge, heaps of responsibility and the various outcomes that I achieved.

Saying that, if I had come from a rich family, instead of the exact opposite, I would also have been happy never having to work at all.

I am ok with activity, but hopeless with strength training, core stability or stretching. I do it a couple of times then it just falls away again. It’s silly as I know it would help if I could do a bit even a couple of times per week.

A mate of mine is similar. Like you he does heaps of walking but no resistance training whatsoever.

He thinks cardio is 'everything' and pays no heed to overall muscle loss and bone density loss that will haunt him in later life. He has just passed 60.

I also know 2 older cyclists (80+) very fit bike riders but quite frail off of the bike. Their top halves look old and quite 'puny' tbh.

SpokeyDokey

Pretty sure you don’t have to let them in. I grudge the tv licence slightly but I am a keen tv watcher so feel I get my monies worth thankfully.

Correct, they have no right of access whatsoever.

We dumped ours earlier this year partly due to poor vfm for us and partly a 'political' protest.

I got caught like this by a colleague once and tbf, as I explained to her, I was genuinely, momentarily studying the badge on her top...

We laughed, I explained, she was fine. It was apparently a regular thing for her.

As a counter to this, I walked into the office at a former employers as a contractor walked out. Two of the young ladies (i used to say girls but even that nowadays seems inappropriate) in the office were heads together and Abbi was complaining...huh, he didn't even notice.

I asked, noticed what ?

I do sometimes wonder when young ladies are walking around wearing t-shirts with writing on them
Obviously the wring is going to follow their contours
which makes some of teh words difficult to read

which does sort of encourage your eye to look at what it says - which means they are looking at their "chest"

but if they complained then you would be assumed to be to blame!

SpokeyDokey

I asked, noticed what ?

Still 'girls' here.

Mrs SD and her girlfriends rather like being called 'girls' - half a dozen had a 'big' discussion on it and that was the outcome.

Mind you, they are all of an age (50's/60's) when common sense prevails...

chris-suffolk

Über Member

Tell them that you've withdrawn the 'implied right of access' to your property, then they are trespassing if they set foot on it. Or put a sign at the entry point(s) saying implied right of access is withdrawn for any body connected with, or acting on behalf of, the TV licencing authority. Then they have no way to communicate with you except mail or e-mail/phone should you have given them those - which I'd just block anyway, leaving snail-mail only.
That will at least stop visits even if it doesn't stop letters.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Been out since 10 am to get Mrs G
new phone. I never thought it would take do long to do it.
Now she is putting new curtains up at our son"s.
Can't wait to get home so I can do my own things.

Gunk

Guru
Bike delivered safely, nice full English on the way back, home now.

IMG_4464.jpeg

Dave7

Legendary Member
Tell them that you've withdrawn the 'implied right of access' to your property, then they are trespassing if they set foot on it. Or put a sign at the entry point(s) saying implied right of access is withdrawn for any body connected with, or acting on behalf of, the TV licencing authority. Then they have no way to communicate with you except mail or e-mail/phone should you have given them those - which I'd just block anyway, leaving snail-mail only.
That will at least stop visits even if it doesn't stop letters.

Serious question.
Apart from 'making a point', if you don't have a TV of any sort, why not just invite them in. They can then make their report and that should be it.
Am I missing something here??

Top Bottom