The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Molly is back home and well. Gentle exercise for next few weeks until it has all healed up. Back to the vet on Thursday for a check up and in 10 days after to remove stitches.
I hope she has learned her lesson and keep away from nasty bushes. I can't afford another £1000 weekend again.

Crazy prices - absolute rip-off profiteering.

gbb

Squire
They are all in big conglomerates these days and it’s all about profit sadly. Couple of quid short of £600 for my Molly’s last visit for 3 extractions and a clean and scale.

I have been splurging big time the last few days. Treated myself to a pair of Apple AirPods Pro as well. They have mixed reviews as to fit and comfort for some people but I must have Apple shaped ears :laugh:
Comfiest and most secure earbuds I’ve ever had so well chuffed with them.

Our eldest grand daughter was well on the way to university for a vetinary qualification but health issues have stopped her in her tracks.
While she was well on the way, we all realised vet's don't actually earn that much given how difficult it is to achieve (unless you have your own practice)
The big conglomerates was exactly the reason, they've come in, taken over and even squeezed the salary of the vets themselves.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Our eldest grand daughter was well on the way to university for a vetinary qualification but health issues have stopped her in her tracks.
While she was well on the way, we all realised vet's don't actually earn that much given how difficult it is to achieve (unless you have your own practice)
The big conglomerates was exactly the reason, they've come in, taken over and even squeezed the salary of the vets themselves.

They’ve even paid off the cleaners in our practice. The vets and nurses have to do the cleaning themselves. Couple of receptionists paid off too. No out of hours cover now either. If we have an emergency we have to go to Dundee. Nearly 30 miles drive if you have a sick/injured pet :sad:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Well, told my boss today, that's it, I'm done, officially retiring.
I loved work, loved my job and did plan to work on till 67 but my wife's health circumstances plus the impending court date for two of our grandkids being SGO'd to us, solicitors, meetings etc etc...retiring will just let me focus on the important stuff.
Fair drop in income but that was always going to happen at some stage.

I think I only spent 1 week of the last 5 at work anyway.

Spent the day enjoying the sun and relaxing while the kids were at school. I actually havnt missed work.
A new chapter opens...

Welcome to the old farts club :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
I may be old and I may fart but don't call me an old fart !!!

I agree, daft old fart is far more suitable for you.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Crazy prices - absolute rip-off profiteering.

Agreed. Vets are fully aware that most people love their pets and would pay a high price to keep them healthy so they can charge what they like.
When you watch " the yorkshire vet" on TV, everybody is always happy but they never mention how much the vet fees are.
Unfortunately, there is no way round it and to be fair, it isn't just vets. It also applies to many tradesmen.
The world is money mad and nothing else matters. Greed has corrupted people's consciences.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Agreed. Vets are fully aware that most people love their pets and would pay a high price to keep them healthy so they can charge what they like.
When you watch " the yorkshire vet" on TV, everybody is always happy but they never mention how much the vet fees are.
Unfortunately, there is no way round it and to be fair, it isn't just vets. It also applies to many tradesmen.
The world is money mad and nothing else matters. Greed has corrupted people's consciences.

Is that greed or need though? Businesses have become very expensive to run, that tiny corner shop with two staff is £1,000 a week in wages alone.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Haven’t watched any tv tonight. Been doing software updates on most of my Apple devices. Few nice extras including training load status and changes in health readings plus notification of possible sleep apnea. These things seem to be getting more and more advanced. There is talk of blood pressure readings being included in the future too. Mind you, I can’t ever see that being as accurate as an arm cuff.

Top Bottom