The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Squire
Well, told my boss today, that's it, I'm done, officially retiring.
I loved work, loved my job and did plan to work on till 67 but my wife's health circumstances plus the impending court date for two of our grandkids being SGO'd to us, solicitors, meetings etc etc...retiring will just let me focus on the important stuff.
Fair drop in income but that was always going to happen at some stage.

I think I only spent 1 week of the last 5 at work anyway.

Spent the day enjoying the sun and relaxing while the kids were at school. I actually havnt missed work.
A new chapter opens...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I loved work, loved my job and did plan to work on till 67 but my wife's health circumstances plus the impending court date for two of our grandkids being SGO'd to us, solicitors, meetings etc etc...retiring will just let me focus on the important stuff.

Spent the day enjoying the sun and relaxing while the kids were at school. I actually havnt missed work.
A new chapter opens...

I've never met anyone who has retired and regretted it.
Keep busy and have at least one focus for each day when you wake up.👍

postman

Squire
Well Postman was woken up at 11-30 by Mrs P.Jet lag i think.So done some ironing of part of the holiday clothes.Hoovered part of the house.Cleaned a grubby kitchen window inside and out,edged the lawn,Mrs P will cut that due to my ernia.phoned the hospital and now the op is cancelled but a promise of first on next list.Feeling knackered now jet lag i suppose.so thats it.

PaulSB

Squire

A new chapter opens...

Welcome to the club. Stay busy, when you want to be busy, doss around when you fancy a bit of dossing. You'll get used to the income drop. Above all enjoy what I now believe to be the best years of life.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A successful afternoon. The man from the carpet shop was on time for his appointment. He measured up and was done and dusted in half an hour. It's a small local family company with a very good reputation. Just waiting for the quote to be emailed through later in the week 😮
Mrs Tkk's Rohloff Roberts is up for sale, originally advertised with a stuck seatpost which I couldn't shift. I decided to have another go and this time I did eventually get it to start moving and was successful in removing it 😁👍.
Popped down to big Tesco for a few things and thought I'd get a tub of our usual Ice Cream. When I got home there was barely room in the freezer so I had to eat the quarter tub that was already in there to make room for the new one.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Another wander done. That’s 11 miles for the day. That’ll do me.

It’s been a gorgeous day here. :sun:

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
Molly is back home and well. Gentle exercise for next few weeks until it has all healed up. Back to the vet on Thursday for a check up and in 10 days after to remove stitches.
I hope she has learned her lesson and keep away from nasty bushes. I can't afford another £1000 weekend again.

an injection and a few stitches for 1000 quid ? FFS ! I thought you were joking with the price . My vet ( I have 2 miniature poodles ) would do all that for 110 Euros or maybe even one hundred . The old lady poodle , who is 16 , got 4 teeth extracted at the back of her jaw for 260 Euro and that included return visit. We have extortionist vets in Ireland too , the bigger the premises and staff , the larger the prices

Mo1959

Legendary Member
an injection and a few stitches for 1000 quid ? FFS ! I thought you were joking with the price . My vet ( I have 2 miniature poodles ) would do all that for 110 Euros or maybe even one hundred . The old lady poodle , who is 16 , got 4 teeth extracted at the back of her jaw for 260 Euro and that included return visit. We have extortionist vets in Ireland too , the bigger the premises and staff , the larger the prices

They are all in big conglomerates these days and it’s all about profit sadly. Couple of quid short of £600 for my Molly’s last visit for 3 extractions and a clean and scale.

I have been splurging big time the last few days. Treated myself to a pair of Apple AirPods Pro as well. They have mixed reviews as to fit and comfort for some people but I must have Apple shaped ears :laugh:
Comfiest and most secure earbuds I’ve ever had so well chuffed with them.

Tenkaykev

Guru
They are all in big conglomerates these days and it’s all about profit sadly. Couple of quid short of £600 for my Molly’s last visit for 3 extractions and a clean and scale.

I have been splurging big time the last few days. Treated myself to a pair of Apple AirPods Pro as well. They have mixed reviews as to fit and comfort for some people but I must have Apple shaped ears :laugh:
Comfiest and most secure earbuds I’ve ever had so well chuffed with them.

I was interested in the hearing aid function. My hearing is ok, the usual age degradation and difficulty picking out conversation when the background is noisy. There's some sophisticated analysis going on in real time in the Air Pods, and they are now a medically approved hearing aid in the USA iirc.

Gunk

Guru
I worked for a couple of hours this morning, it’s been busy around the house, our builder came to do some repointing, and we also had someone come to measure up a replacement window and a fencing contractor to price up some spurs where some posts have failed.

I cycled in to Oxford, met my daughter for a coffee, and carried on and enjoyed a very pleasant 20 mile loop.

Now home enjoying a glass of wine whilst my son cooks supper for us (giving him a crash course before he goes to university on Sunday). 🫣

Top Bottom