The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
I am presuming when I start getting my state pension next year and go over the tax allowance, they will automatically deduct tax from it?
In England the state pension is not taxed. If the state pension plus other pensions takes one above the tax threshold it is the other pensions that are taxed.

Mrs P receives an NHS pension. This was untaxed for 7 years as she was below the tax threshold. When Mrs P began to receive her SP the appropriate tax began to be deducted from her NHS pension. The NHS and DWP talk to each other.

I think you worked in the prison service? If so I would expect the prison service pension will automatically deduct your tax. This is on the basis you have a pension from a public body, the DWP will know about this, rather than a private pension from a company which the DWP won't have details of.

I have no income other than the SP and Advanced SP. As I'm now above the tax threshold I have to do self-assessment on my SP.

I do have a private pension but we don't need the income from this. There would be no point in taking the income and paying tax on it.

postman

Squire
Postman is in a Cafe on a cruise ship off the coast of Alaska.This is the first cruise ever.it is also the last,this is crap.I am bored out of my head.Begin ripped off at every opportunity tax for this gratuity for that and don't ask about the ship company's attitude to a drinks and internet package.The only passenger missing is Dick Turpin.What a cooking error coming on this holiday,don't tell Mrs P she is loving it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240910_103253.jpg
    IMG_20240910_103253.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
Postman is in a Cafe on a cruise ship off the coast of Alaska.This is the first cruise ever.it is also the last,this is crap.I am bored out of my head.Begin ripped off at every opportunity tax for this gratuity for that and don't ask about the ship company's attitude to a drinks and internet package.The only passenger missing is Dick Turpin.What a cooking error coming on this holiday,don't tell Mrs P she is loving it.

Yikes….that must be disappointing 🙄
I hope it improves for you 🤞

Funnily enough, we have good friends who are holidaying out there: been kayaking to a glacier, getting too close to bears, cycling & walking - aside from it being rather on the damp side, they appear to be enjoying it from snippets I’ve caught on fb/strava. They did send a picture of two BIG cruise ships at berth, with some disparaging comment about seeing those flooding the town being the only downside🤪

I almost had a student job in a cannery in Alaska about 40 years ago 👀
I say ‘almost’: I worked 3 months on a travelling funfair in the States in the early 80s, & a US pal I made suggested we did it the next year, during one drunken evening.
Of course, after heading home, we had failed to swap details….& there was no internet (to speak of) to be able to figure it out later. Bah 🤣
Night all!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning. Brrr. A chilly start and struggling to get up to 12 degrees later and will feel colder in the wind.

Should be nice for a brisk walk soon.

postman

Squire
Found out today there is a cabin gratuity to pay $17 per adult per day so at the end 7 × $34 dollars to pay to the cabin steward.What a pile of manure this cruise is turning out to be.This country is tax tipping gratuity mad.Every body dips into your pocket.I am still searching for a medieval window tax,it's the only thing they have not taken from us yet.Twats.all this on top of what this cruise cost.First and very last cruise,I have never wanted a holiday to finish like I do this.I am as sick as a parrot.I feel as though we have been shafted.What a country.I never want to come back again.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Squire
Found out today there is a cabin gratuity to pay $17 per adult per day so at the end 7 × $34 dollars to pay to the cabin steward.What a pile of manure this cruise is turning out to be.This country is tax tipping gratuity mad.Every body dips into your pocket.I am still searching for a medieval window tax,it's the only thing they have not taken from us yet.Twats.all this on top of what this cruise cost.First and very last cruise,I have never wanted a holiday to finish like I do this.I am as sick as a parrot.I feel as though we have been shafted.What a country.I never want to come back again.
I feel your pain, especially when one is expected to tip. I've no issue with tipping but want it to be at my discretion and based on good service.

A cruise is my idea of hell. I know I would be stir crazy after 48 hours. We did a 4 day/3 night cruise on the Mekong delta in 2020. That was brilliant but on a boat with 12 cabins, utterly different. It's something I want to repeat.

Don't blame the country though. It's the cruise company that's responsible for all that happens on their ship.

Top Bottom