The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I thought Mo received a private pension so answered her post on that basis.

And then wrongly carried that premise over to your post - apologies.

No need to apologise. I often make boo boos as you all know only to well. :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Screenshot_20240910_145521_Facebook~2.jpg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
That'll counterbalance the removal of the winter fuel allowance then.
It's not really a rise though, is it? It's merely catching up with inflation. A real rise would put us ahead.

The 4% gives a figure of £460pa rise, according to BBC. However, that is for those who reached retirement age after 2016, and, are on the "new" State Pension. For those who reached retirement age before 2016, and, are on the "old" State Pension, the rise is only £353.60pa.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
You would think it would be easier just to tax at source? So I take it this will be a yearly occurence?

As far as I am aware, there is no mechanism to deduct tax PAYE style from State Pension. If you have a Private and/or Works Pension, they deduct the tax from that.

In my case, before retirement, I was on "Self Assessment" (I assume because I was self employed?). after seeing the almighty mess they made of Mrs @BoldonLad's tax after retirement, I have opted to stay on Self Assessment. It means I have the chore of completing a tax return (online) each year, but, at least I can easily double check HMRCs figures.

oops, I see Spokey beat me to it ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I was just contemplating another little wander before tea but the wind is really strong and I see some rain blowing through it now too, so not sure if I’ll bother.

This morning, we had to collect our Motorhome from the Dealer, after repair. It is a bit of a journey (17 miles on public transport, metro and bus), but, Mrs @BoldonLad regards it as a bit of an adventure, and, tags along for the journey.

As it happens, it all went quite smoothly, connections were made without a hitch.

So, it appeared we would be there too early.

I had the bright idea of getting off the final bus a few stops before our destination, and have a little walk.

As the bus drove off, leaving us at the bus-stop, I began to realise just how windy it was. Mrs @BoldonLad noticed too of course, as she struggled to actually stand up in the wind.

My bright idea was not greeted with approval shall we say. ;)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As far as I am aware, there is no mechanism to deduct tax PAYE style from State Pension. If you have a Private and/or Works Pension, they deduct the tax from that.

In my case, before retirement, I was on "Self Assessment" (I assume because I was self employed?). after seeing the almighty mess they made of Mrs @BoldonLad's tax after retirement, I have opted to stay on Self Assessment. It means I have the chore of completing a tax return (online) each year, but, at least I can easily double check HMRCs figures.

oops, I see Spokey beat me to it ;)

For the same reason, I stayed on Self Assessment too.

Top Bottom