The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have been wondering. What is an SID?

Speed indicator device.

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you remember when a woman hit my car last year at a crossroad ? Well, I had to find out the total cost of repair and car hire because my insurance is due to renewal soon. It came to £8844 in total, the repair alone was £7444 !! It was only a small dent after all so I am shocked it came to so much . The whole repair industry is just printing money I think and our insurance premiums reflect all that.
Anyway, I went on line and renewed my policy with the AA, £50 a year cheaper than my present insurer.

Yet bodyshops are closing all over the place, I am in the body repair business and the shops doing the work are being taken for a ride by the claims handlers.

PaulSB

Squire
Yet bodyshops are closing all over the place, I am in the body repair business and the shops doing the work are being taken for a ride by the claims handlers.

In what way. With respect to the industry I would have thought once a body shop, for that matter any supplier, knows it's an insurance claim prices rise.

Isn't it the claims handler's role to minimise the cost? Or have I missed your point completely?

Drago

Legendary Member
The claims handling firms exist to make profit. Everything they touch gets 20% added to it, so the more items on the invoice the more profit they make.

It must have seems a jolly wheeze when it was first thought of, but now they're all at it, foxtrotting each other over and it's the consumer that pays the price.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
In what way. With respect to the industry I would have thought once a body shop, for that matter any supplier, knows it's an insurance claim prices rise.

Isn't it the claims handler's role to minimise the cost? Or have I missed your point completely?

Claims handlers always go with what assessors say, and these days assessors are far and few between.

Most of the time, the lesser of 2 evils is to just scrap a car and don't bother fixing it at all. That's the reason why a lot of body shops are shutting down. The business just isn't there anymore. Its cheaper to just scrap a car than to spend a lot of tme with claims handlers, assessors, body shops, and general repairs.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Claims handlers always go with what assessors say, and these days assessors are far and few between.

Most of the time, the lesser of 2 evils is to just scrap a car and don't bother fixing it at all. That's the reason why a lot of body shops are shutting down. The business just isn't there anymore. Its cheaper to just scrap a car than to spend a lot of tme with claims handlers, assessors, body shops, and general repairs.

I think that applies to older vehicles more so than newer ones.

Although electric cars and their complicated floorpans/battery locations may be muddying the waters. Just a guess.

screenman

Legendary Member

The prices are very much set, extremely low, with some handlers wanting 20 per cent fee's. It was not long back the body shops were making £0.50 in profit in every £1000 invoiced. Most of the body shops I supply or work with are on an extremely slim margin. I am lucky with my skills I am not affected by overheads etc, in either of my businesses.

welsh dragon

I think that applies to older vehicles more so than newer ones.

Although electric cars and their complicated floorpans/battery locations may be muddying the waters. Just a guess.

Perhaps but there are far more older petrol cars on the road than electric cars, do it still applies. And the fact I'd body shops are closing down. The company my son worked for bought one even though the owners were closing due to lack of clients, and after investing a lot of money, yep, they to closed down losing a shed load of money. They were told that body shops were shutting due to lack of business but still bought it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Perhaps but there are far more older petrol cars on the road than electric cars, do it still applies. And the fact I'd body shops are closing down. The company my son worked for bought one even though the owners were closing due to lack of clients, and after investing a lot of money, yep, they to closed down losing a shed load of money. They were told that body shops were shutting due to lack of business but still bought it.

Does that mean that, theoretically, if a car is more than 3 years old, it won't be repaired although it could be. That is just a back door way of forcing people to buy more cars, hence oiling the wheels of industry and favourizing the throw away society.
What a crazy , stupid and incompetent world we live in.

welsh dragon

Does that mean that, theoretically, if a car is more than 3 years old, it won't be repaired although it could be. That is just a back door way of forcing people to buy more cars, hence oiling the wheels of industry and favourizing the throw away society.
What a crazy , stupid and incompetent world we live in.

As you say, that's the world we live I today I am afraid.

Top Bottom