The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I should stop looking at Youtube, there I was quite content and a scone video came up and by magic three fruit scones appeared
had two with a cup of tea there and then, and just had the last one now :mrpig:

Their are friends who are aquaintances and friends who are real friends.

Older fella (86) lives nearby.

For a couple of decades he played golf every week as a 4-ball. 6 people involved in the group but any combo of 4 would play depending on who was available that week.

He had a nasty fall last year and can no longer play.

Apart from the initial fuss, from who he thought were friends, not one is now in touch with him.

V.sad.

That happened to my Dad
Went to the Rotary Club for many many years
had people round for dinner and went to a lot of social events outside the Club

Thought he had a lot of friends

Then his disability (WW2 thingy) put him in a wheelchair after decades of fighting against it
He felt guilty about people having to ferry him to and from the club meeting as he could no longer drive

Only one of the old "friends" bothered to keep in touch

some of the women kept in touch with mu Mum but their husbands never came round with them

shameful really

PaulSB

Squire
Gosh, it's been a busy day. I am outraged about something. Genuinely. Today I had reason to buy a 4 pint carton of milk in Tesco, £1.55 (39p per pint). In the same store off the next shelf I needed to buy, at the same time, a 1 pint carton at 90p!!!!! :ohmy: How does that work???? That's a 51p premium per pint on smaller bottles. Every time I visit a Tesco I find another reason to detest the company even more.

More positively I got a full settlement from the insurers for my bike and kit. The bulk is a cash payment but £500 is in Amazon vouchers that I can spend on whatever I please. The cash payment is for non-standard items; Lusso jersey, Assos bib shorts, bespoke Kinesis bike. Anyhting that is standard, the Wahoo, is paid in vouchers to push one towards a lower cost supplier.***

*** that made me smile. The Wahoo is cheaper direct from Wahoo it is on Amazon!!!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Gosh, it's been a busy day. I am outraged about something. Genuinely. Today I had reason to buy a 4 pint carton of milk in Tesco, £1.55 (39p per pint). In the same store off the next shelf I needed to buy, at the same time, a 1 pint carton at 90p!!!!! :ohmy: How does that work???? That's a 51p premium per pint on smaller bottles. Every time I visit a Tesco I find another reason to detest the company even more.

More positively I got a full settlement from the insurers for my bike and kit. The bulk is a cash payment but £500 is in Amazon vouchers that I can spend on whatever I please. The cash payment is for non-standard items; Lusso jersey, Assos bib shorts, bespoke Kinesis bike. Anyhting that is standard, the Wahoo, is paid in vouchers to push one towards a lower cost supplier.***

*** that made me smile. The Wahoo is cheaper direct from Wahoo it is on Amazon!!!

If you have an ASDA near you, £1.45, don't know how much their one pint cartons are.

classic33

Leg End Member

I'd have insisted on cash in full, not vouchers usable through one retailer only. Especially when that retailer changes the conditions of use to suit itself.

The excuse for the price difference is that a large amount of the cost it the processing and packaging

Hence the actual price of the milk is only a small percentage of the overall cost
and it takes almost as much to fill the small bottles as the large ones in spite of there being 1/4 of the milk in them

How close that gets to reality is something we can debate
but I would tend to the cynical

especially as people who buy the bigger bottles with tend to be people who buy a lot more stuff overall as they are feeding more people
and hence are worth more profit to the company
but that's just me
maybe

Drago

Legendary Member
That happened to my Dad
Went to the Rotary Club for many many years
had people round for dinner and went to a lot of social events outside the Club

Thought he had a lot of friends

Then his disability (WW2 thingy) put him in a wheelchair after decades of fighting against it
He felt guilty about people having to ferry him to and from the club meeting as he could no longer drive

Only one of the old "friends" bothered to keep in touch

some of the women kept in touch with mu Mum but their husbands never came round with them

shameful really

None of that in the brotherhood. If I'm crook the almoner will have brethren at my door right quick, and if I drop of my perch they'll watch over Mrs D and assist her financially.

Top Bottom