The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
1000015043.jpg

Local foodbank have had to move office and have taken over the lodge of the local cemetary

I have been down there setting up some computers and stuff for them.
I was there today and while one of the VERY old computer was booting up I went looking around and had a look out of a window
only to get a large cloud of dust descend on me from the blinds on teh window
The whole place has been occupied by various organisation for many years and it looks like not one of them cleaned anything
They have had a load of volunteers in from various organisations helping with stuff - but the amount of stuff that needs doing is amazing

so I just found a bucket and a j-cloth and cleaned the damn thing
Bloody Venetian blinds!!!!!!
there is a good reason why my wife and I decided to never have them long before we even met!!!

anyway - they are now dust free

and the computers work - well, slowly but they do work!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Local foodbank have had to move office and have taken over the lodge of the local cemetary

I have been down there setting up some computers and stuff for them.
I was there today and while one of the VERY old computer was booting up I went looking around and had a look out of a window
only to get a large cloud of dust descend on me from the blinds on teh window
The whole place has been occupied by various organisation for many years and it looks like not one of them cleaned anything
They have had a load of volunteers in from various organisations helping with stuff - but the amount of stuff that needs doing is amazing

so I just found a bucket and a j-cloth and cleaned the damn thing
Bloody Venetian blinds!!!!!!
there is a good reason why my wife and I decided to never have them long before we even met!!!

anyway - they are now dust free

and the computers work - well, slowly but they do work!

Yes. .. Vertical for us.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Do people actually wear these?

One of me son-in-laws is a frequent wearer of such things

PaulSB

Squire
A question for @Drago or anyone else interested in this field. In 1976, I achieved my black belt in karate shotokan style but, due to life taking over, I haven't practice any of it since then so that's 48 years of inactivity and I am now 73 years of age and not as agile as I once was.
I am thinking of taking up self defence classes but am wondering if I may be too old for that, especially with mixing up with people much, much younger than me as I don't want to look like a fool.

I can't comment on the karate or other similar activities. I can offer this advice which may be of interest. Last summer I found I wasn't really in a very good place. I felt it was a physical thing but it turned out to be both physical and mental. This is a byproduct of what I'm going to speak a out now.

I approached a friend who is a personal trainer for help to improve my overall fitness. We talked through my targets, that I do not want to join a gym and any exercising had to be achievable at home.

My PT developed a programme for me which includes a 15 minute stretching routine every morning. I then have a set of routines which take 30 - 40 minutes. These are targeted to:
  • Core strength
  • Upper body strength
  • Strengthen legs for cycling
  • Improve endurance
All these are done in our dining room with a floor mat, one dumbell, set of weights, 2.5 to 10kg, and a broom handle! None of this involves a gym or other equipment.

My PT also advises on general diet and cycling diet.

Over the last 12 months my overall flexibility has improved hugely, upper body strength increased, core strength hugely improved and my quad and calf muscle mass increased. The impact on my overall health and well being took me completely by surprise. Starting the day with around 45 - 55 minutes exercise sets me up for the day, eases the aches and stresses and simply makes me feel very good.

I mentioned the mental aspect. These minutes I set aside for exercise quickly became "Paul time." I found myself thinking about my life, what stressed me, what made me happy etc. Over the first six months I came to understand I wasn't happy with a lot of things in my life. I dumped them all. I simply stopped doing things which really didn't contribute anything to my life. Boy, that worked for me.

I'm not exercising at present as I'm still recovering from my crash.

Top Bottom