The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
In other News:

First great grandchild (step gg for me) turned up at 8pm last night. Mother and daughter doing fine. Mrs SD, who is not at all child-orientated, was strangely moved by the reality of now having 3 generations 'below' her. Interesting to contemplate that young Delilah will probably make it past the year 2100!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In other News:

First great grandchild (step gg for me) turned up at 8pm last night. Mother and daughter doing fine. Mrs SD, who is not at all child-orientated, was strangely moved by the reality of now having 3 generations 'below' her. Interesting to contemplate that young Delilah will probably make it past the year 2100!

Congratulations!

Been out for a slightly damp 20 miles, 18° so too warm for a waterproof.

I spent all 32 years of my working life, ages 23 to 55, working for big corporates, it was fun to begin with but I hated it by the end. The flipside is that I was able to leave at 55 and still get a very comfortable defined benefit pension that started paying out this year at age 60, so I can’t complain.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Soup and a pint for us. :okay:

IMG_20240815_122433750_HDR.jpg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A question for @Drago or anyone else interested in this field. In 1976, I achieved my black belt in karate shotokan style but, due to life taking over, I haven't practice any of it since then so that's 48 years of inactivity and I am now 73 years of age and not as agile as I once was.
I am thinking of taking up self defence classes but am wondering if I may be too old for that, especially with mixing up with people much, much younger than me as I don't want to look like a fool.

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
A question for @Drago or anyone else interested in this field. In 1976, I achieved my black belt in karate shotokan style but, due to life taking over, I haven't practice any of it since then so that's 48 years of inactivity and I am now 73 years of age and not as agile as I once was.
I am thinking of taking up self defence classes but am wondering if I may be too old for that, especially with mixing up with people much, much younger than me as I don't want to look like a fool.

Personally I wouldn't do it , better try yoga , lifting handweights { standing, while still looking at the telly) etc . I am just a mite older than you and run the odd 10k race , walking , cycling etc. A sudden push up from a squat ( repeats ) did in my knee for a very long time. The self defence involves sudden sharp movements . Those abrupt movements are our enemy.
ps If your missus has a taylors dummy , you could sellotape two grapes to the groin area of it and practice kicking it in the balls

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Personally I wouldn't do it , better try yoga , lifting handweights { standing, while still looking at the telly) etc . I am just a mite older than you and run the odd 10k race , walking , cycling etc. A sudden push up from a squat ( repeats ) did in my knee for a very long time. The self defence involves sudden sharp movements . Those abrupt movements are our enemy.
ps If your missus has a taylors dummy , you could sellotape two grapes to the groin area of it and practice kicking it in the balls

That's very sound advice.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

As others have said, I think I would be wary of taking up something "physical" at "my time of life (76)" (how I hate that phrase.

However, I would not let age put me off trying other new things. For example, much to Mrs @BoldonLad's amusement, I decided to learn to ride a motorcycle (full licence) at age 65. I attended lessons with half a dozen "children" (oldest about 25!). Not only was it good fun, but, I passed the theory test first time, the rest took 2 or 3 attempts, on the day when three of us took our practical test, I was the only one who passed!

Top Bottom