The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

Good morning all, wall to wall sunshine forecast, temp to hit 19° by early afternoon.
I don’t usually watch tennis but made an exception for Murray’s last match last night, again !
And in other news my bank account is the happy recipient this morning of my first ever pension payment, still pinching myself that I get this for life now without having to lift a finger ! What with this and my free bus travel it’s taking some getting used to !

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Good morning all, wall to wall sunshine forecast, temp to hit 19° by early afternoon.
I don’t usually watch tennis but made an exception for Murray’s last match last night, again !
And in other news my bank account is the happy recipient this morning of my first ever pension payment, still pinching myself that I get this for life now without having to lift a finger ! What with this and my free bus travel it’s taking some getting used to !

Next May for me. After managing on my work pension and constantly dipping into my inheritance to top up, it will feel like a real bonus.

Emanresu

For those of you on low pensions (for whatever reason), check to see if you should apply for Pension Credit. It's not a normal benefit in that it is a gateway to other payments such as help with your rental costs, and now winter fuel payment. Pensions have a habit of not keeping up with the cost of living.

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/how-to-claim

It can be a bit tricky as it will ask about any capital you have. Also you may not be entitled to it one year if you are over the current limits but check each year. Pensions have a habit of not keeping up with the cost of living.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

Congratulations and finally welcome to the club of the retired. :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
For those of you on low pensions (for whatever reason), check to see if you should apply for Pension Credit. It's not a normal benefit in that it is a gateway to other payments such as help with your rental costs, and now winter fuel payment. Pensions have a habit of not keeping up with the cost of living.

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/how-to-claim

It can be a bit tricky as it will ask about any capital you have. Also you may not be entitled to it one year if you are over the current limits but check each year. Pensions have a habit of not keeping up with the cost of living.
It won't be long before the government stop the triple lock, then our pensions will soon fall behind and those of us who may be even slightly over-the threshold will soon find ourselves below again.

The Lord giveth and taketh away as they say.

I have started looking at holidays again.

On another very important note, that raised bottom on a bottle of wine, very disappointing when you think you have glass full left to find it is only half a glass.

It's called the punt, and without it Parisian waiters would be unable to pour wine. An old French cartoon I have shows how wine is served, in Paris a waiter has his thumb in the punt, a Bordelais has a good firm grip on the bottle, for England a woman is shown sat on the floor, leaning against a table leg, in a state of undress, drinking from the bottle neck.

Top Bottom