The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We had a time share at Keswick BridgeThe last time we visited prior to giving the time share op was in 2017

A regular walk was along the railway track from Keswick to Threkeld.to the Farriers pub.for lunch.Didnt happen that year all the bridge had either been washed away or were in a dangerous condition Don’t know what it is like now.
Is that Pooley Bridge ?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
.......and the hard, red carbolic soap

I had to use a lovely big green leaf on my early morning run! Didn't feel the need before I went out, but after a coffee and a couple of miles of jiggling up and down.......well you know how it is! :laugh:
Nothing beats a docken leaf.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Typical West Highland morning, damp but little wind. Excitement of the day down to the Coop before 7 o'clock for shopping and a queue of about 20 had formed by the time the shop opened. The only carrots were "Wonky Carrots" ie all the discards gathered up and given a fancy name.
I know it gets boring but the AirB&B has now got two cars with cycle racks but taking up 4 car spaces. No thought for those who actually live here and the last resident to arrive back from work had to go away and find somewhere else to park. Given the speed of turnover I suspect cleaning is a word rather than a deed.
Since covid numbers are rising again this get worrying for us.
I have lived here for a long time now but the tourist infestation is making life unpleasant and I would move away I think if I could.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you weigh the toilet rolls instead of counting the number of sheets per roll ( the size of each individual sheet may vary between brands ) you'll get a true reflection of value in pence per gramme.
Then you can simply keep a pair of scissors handy to cut to the exact length required instead of wasting money 😉
And what happens if you cut just short of the perforations?

Dave7

Legendary Member
And what happens if you cut just short of the perforations?
You get messy fingers :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
Typical West Highland morning, damp but little wind. Excitement of the day down to the Coop before 7 o'clock for shopping and a queue of about 20 had formed by the time the shop opened. The only carrots were "Wonky Carrots" ie all the discards gathered up and given a fancy name.
I know it gets boring but the AirB&B has now got two cars with cycle racks but taking up 4 car spaces. No thought for those who actually live here and the last resident to arrive back from work had to go away and find somewhere else to park. Given the speed of turnover I suspect cleaning is a word rather than a deed.
Since covid numbers are rising again this get worrying for us.
I have lived here for a long time now but the tourist infestation is making life unpleasant and I would move away I think if I could.
Wouldn't a small island be the perfect place for lockdown?
They can limit physical contact with the mainland due to a boat being required for access. And if the boat owners were to make sudden unannounced changes to sailings...

You need to go back on those two pages and ask questions.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Wouldn't a small island be the perfect place for lockdown?
They can limit physical contact with the mainland due to a boat being required for access. And if the boat owners were to make sudden unannounced changes to sailings...

You need to go back on those two pages and ask questions.
This not so small island was ok during lockdown as access was restricted but the instant restrictions were lifted the flood of tourists started and has increased ever since.
I am now very restricted as the only time I can get out on my trike is early morning as the volume of traffic on single track roads make forward movement during the day difficult. Some local cyclists I spoke to said the roads on the west side were dangerous as the traffic had no sense and would not stop in passing places and tried to overtake in impossible places. I can only go shopping in early morning at 7 o'clock to avoid the crowds although here there is a no mask no entry policy enforced and the police have had to attend on occasion.
Ferry travel which I would normally do about every two weeks is not possible due again to the volume of tourist traffic. Calmac have put in place a priority system for urgent hospital appointments but only for those who cannot get a car booking and only as a foot passenger with a taxi provided to and from hospital. I am really getting very depressed about the situation and have seriously thought of leaving my home of nearly 50 years and moving to the mainland. Mull was a nice place to live but not now.
To add to this I cannot take my car out during daytime as I will not be able to park on return due to the space being filled.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

This not so small island was ok during lockdown as access was restricted but the instant restrictions were lifted the flood of tourists started and has increased ever since.
I am now very restricted as the only time I can get out on my trike is early morning as the volume of traffic on single track roads make forward movement during the day difficult. Some local cyclists I spoke to said the roads on the west side were dangerous as the traffic had no sense and would not stop in passing places and tried to overtake in impossible places. I can only go shopping in early morning at 7 o'clock to avoid the crowds although here there is a no mask no entry policy enforced and the police have had to attend on occasion.
Ferry travel which I would normally do about every two weeks is not possible due again to the volume of tourist traffic. Calmac have put in place a priority system for urgent hospital appointments but only for those who cannot get a car booking and only as a foot passenger with a taxi provided to and from hospital. I am really getting very depressed about the situation and have seriously thought of leaving my home of nearly 50 years and moving to the mainland. Mull was a nice place to live but not now.

A lot of the touristy places have been swamped since the end of lockdown. Theres a small Cotswold village not far from here, Burton On The Water, a pleasant place for a day trip, its got a small zoo, a model village and a small motor museum, and its a place my Good Lady likes, I was looking at a trip down but they were saying they've been getting over 10,000 visitors a day, far more than they can cope with, so I've abandoned the idea, we'll wait till it calms down a bit.

Top Bottom