The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Gawd blimey, its like being back at nursery with all this toilet talk and I'm just having my lunch! :laugh:

I find that the fluffy quilted toilet roll doesn't go as far as the normal stuff.
So, back to the normal stuff for me.

Is that a telephone directory cut up into small squares! :smile: .........that was our job on a Sunday evening while watching Sunday Night at the London Palladium when we were little. :smile:

pawl

Legendary Member
When I was a farm labourer we always looked for dockens when deciding where to nip behind a dyke. one pansy actually carried some bog roll in his pocket.

wasn’t only farm labourers that used dock leaves.As young lads if we were out in the country and got took short we used dock leaves.Also used them when we got nettled and before any one comments no not the ones we had used for for more important reasons:wacko::wacko::wacko:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The only other time I've heard Black Hill was on the same ride! We met during the ride that day. It was tough.
Aaargh - my dodgy memory - that fact was lost in the mists of time! :wacko: (As was the fact that I think you have reminded me of it before...)

I know that I'm not the only one though... I met @dave r on a forum ride, and then at a later date at event HQ before a Midlands audax ride. I went up and said hello but he didn't recognise me! :laugh:

Yes, the Pendle Pedal was a very tough ride; a beautiful route though! It was a bit of a twee name for an event, but its replacement name The Bowland Beast was too far the other way - obviously intended to appeal to macho cylcists - 'come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough'!

This is the profile of the Pendle Pedal route after the start/finish was moved from Colne to Barnoldswick...

It seems as though they stopped running the event nearly 10 years ago. Perhaps it was TOO hard? :whistle:

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
Saturday 35C, then 33 on Sunday, yesterday 21 with the afternoon seeing rain then sleet then snow from 6 pm which will taper down at 4 this afternoon. Plants covered or in coldframes or inside....Mrs 12 loves to have many pots of herbs and flowers, probably 40 in the two cold frames. Last night a branch fell on her car in the driveway so I moved it and my Element to safer spots. Good thing too, my deck and drive are littered with branches and all the trees' branches are groaning under the weight of ice and snow. The wind is about 20 mph so maybe the trees will have some of the snow blown away. Tonight it will clear and get down to -4, but the snow will help keep the plants less cold, I hope. By Thursday it will be in the fifties, the roads will be clear to bike
IMG_20200908_074204.jpg

ay
IMG_20200908_074132.jpg

And we'll have a couple of weeks till another polar vortex arrives. I think our drought is over for a while! Life in the high desert West. The second pic is the deck.

classic33

Leg End Member
Saturday 35C, then 33 on Sunday, yesterday 21 with the afternoon seeing rain then sleet then snow from 6 pm which will taper down at 4 this afternoon. Plants covered or in coldframes or inside....Mrs 12 loves to have many pots of herbs and flowers, probably 40 in the two cold frames. Last night a branch fell on her car in the driveway so I moved it and my Element to safer spots. Good thing too, my deck and drive are littered with branches and all the trees' branches are groaning under the weight of ice and snow. The wind is about 20 mph so maybe the trees will have some of the snow blown away. Tonight it will clear and get down to -4, but the snow will help keep the plants less cold, I hope. By Thursday it will be in the fifties, the roads will be clear to bike View attachment 546064

ay View attachment 546065

And we'll have a couple of weeks till another polar vortex arrives. I think our drought is over for a while! Life in the high desert West. The second pic is the deck.
Can't be that bad, there's tyre tracks on the road. And everyone knows an inch of snow brings everything to a standstill.

At least in some parts over here.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Saturday 35C, then 33 on Sunday, yesterday 21 with the afternoon seeing rain then sleet then snow from 6 pm which will taper down at 4 this afternoon. Plants covered or in coldframes or inside....Mrs 12 loves to have many pots of herbs and flowers, probably 40 in the two cold frames. Last night a branch fell on her car in the driveway so I moved it and my Element to safer spots. Good thing too, my deck and drive are littered with branches and all the trees' branches are groaning under the weight of ice and snow. The wind is about 20 mph so maybe the trees will have some of the snow blown away. Tonight it will clear and get down to -4, but the snow will help keep the plants less cold, I hope. By Thursday it will be in the fifties, the roads will be clear to bike View attachment 546064

ay View attachment 546065

Are you near Denver?

ColinJ

I have lived here for a long time now but the tourist infestation is making life unpleasant and I would move away I think if I could.
It happens everywhere that starts attracting tourists. I used to live in Hebden Bridge and sunny Bank Holidays in the town were a bit of a nightmare, as was the A646 in the valley through the town. People flocked there from Manchester, Leeds and elsewhere. This is an example from the annual 'Easter Duck Race'! It is a charity event where thousands of numbered plastic ducks are dumped into Hebden Water and fished out again downstream. Spectators buy tickets for the ducks and the first few out of the water win prizes, all profits go to local charities. Very worthy but I usually stayed in or left town by an alternative route (HILLS!) on days like that.

Somehow, with Covid-19 probably still doing the rounds, I don't think that will be happening in 2021!!! :eek:

(Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I honestly do not see the appeal of standing in a huge mass of people to watch a few thousand yellow plastic toys float 100 metres down a river!)

Last edited:

ColinJ

Some local cyclists I spoke to said the roads on the west side were dangerous as the traffic had no sense and would not stop in passing places and tried to overtake in impossible places.
Yep!

I had the same thing happen on a ride round Mull last year. That was someone driving a big 4x4, not sure what type. The driver actually shouted "Get off my f**king road" at me as he scraped past!
From the accent, I'm pretty sure that it was an English tourist! If he had only slowed down or stopped I could have passed safely. Instead, I had cms between my right and the car, and my left and the barrier, beyond which was a drop onto rocks and the sea. It was bad enough for me, but if a driver had been coming round the blind bend instead of me there would have been a head-on collision. Absolute effing tosspot!!!

I, of course, was also a tourist that day but... (1) I was travelling by bike, and cycling with consideration for other road users. (2) I was claiming ancestral visitation rights, since the Scottish half of my family came from Mull 150+ years ago!

classic33

Leg End Member
It happens everywhere that starts attracting tourists. I used to live in Hebden Bridge and sunny Bank Holidays in the town were a bit of a nightmare, as was the A646 in the valley through the town. People flocked there from Manchester, Leeds and elsewhere. This is an example from the annual 'Easter Duck Race'! It is a charity event where thousands of numbered plastic ducks are dumped into Hebden Water and fished out again downstream. Spectators buy tickets for the ducks and the first few out of the water win prizes, all profits go to local charities. Very worthy but I usually stayed in or left town by an alternative route (HILLS!) on days like that.

View attachment 546069

View attachment 546068

Somehow, with Covid-19 probably still doing the rounds, I don't think that will be happening in 2021!!! :eek:

(Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I honestly do not see the appeal of standing in a huge mass of people to watch a few thousand yellow plastic toys float 100 metres down a river!)
Not even if you were to win a prize?

D

Deleted member 1258

Aaargh - my dodgy memory - that fact was lost in the mists of time! :wacko: (As was the fact that I think you have reminded me of it before...)

I know that I'm not the only one though... I met @dave r on a forum ride, and then at a later date at event HQ before a Midlands audax ride. I went up and said hello but he didn't recognise me! :laugh:

Yes, the Pendle Pedal was a very tough ride; a beautiful route though! It was a bit of a twee name for an event, but its replacement name The Bowland Beast was too far the other way - obviously intended to appeal to macho cylcists - 'come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough'!

This is the profile of the Pendle Pedal route after the start/finish was moved from Colne to Barnoldswick...

View attachment 546063

It seems as though they stopped running the event nearly 10 years ago. Perhaps it was TOO hard? :whistle:

It had been a while since the forum ride and my memory is atrocious, you'd lost a lot of weight as well.

Top Bottom