The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
pharmacist occasionally discusses my medication with me regarding any problems
If I am being dealt with by the 'lay' counter staff they usually just hand over the prescription, but if one of the pharmacists is serving me they often ask if I have had an INR test recently, and if so, what was the result? They then get me to repeat what my dose is. I think that they are making sure that I have my wits about me and understand the importance of getting the dose right. (Let's face it - warfarin was used as rat poison, so it isn't something to mess about with! :laugh:)

Drago

Legendary Member
Its now raining. Bit of a turnaround from this mornings warm sun,

GM

Legendary Member
No PB win for me this time. I always get an email when I win so I just check when I win to see how much. All of my wins so far have just been £25. I only tend to win about once a year now my £6k+ holding has been reduced to less than £1k.

What might turn out to be profitable is that I woke up (after a poor quality 4 hours of sleep!) with an idea for a spooky story. (I enter lots of competitions and tend to do well on ones that require creative writing. Over the past few years I have won about £5,000 worth of prizes!) Yesterday, I had spotted a competition to win £500. The challenge is to write a spooky, supernatural story in less than 1,200 words. I wasn't going to bother but waking up with an interesting idea (with a cycling twist!) seems like a good omen. That is my task for this afternoon since I want a break from puzzle game development and rain will soon have stopped cycling play.

If any of you fancy having a go at the competition, see the details below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you like ghost stories? Do you have an idea for a spine-tingling
spooky tale to enjoy by the fireside? Then why not put pen to paper
and take a shot at our Autumn short story competition.

We are looking for stories (maximum of 1,200 words) that have a
supernatural theme - the spookier the better!

Send your story along with your name, email address and phone
number to bestfiction2020@hearst.co.uk with "best fiction 2020" in
the subject line.

Closes midnight 15 Sept 2020

Entries will be judged by 5 October and a winner, plus 2 runners-up
will be picked shortly afterwards, chosen by a team at Best.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was little and constipated we didn't have any medicine, so my dad used to sit me on the potty and tell me ghost stories!...(Jim Davison, 1970 something) :giggle:

BTW Good luck!

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Its now raining. Bit of a turnaround from this mornings warm sun,
very gloomy here ,rain not far away . Mrs kog and l spent the morning walking the Ivinghoe beacon area ( it’s between Berkhamsted and Dunstable) . It was warm and very sunny. I was going to fire up the lawnmower this afternoon, but the weather provides a good excuse not too.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good evening fellow retirees,

A pleasant stroll into Edinburgh today, the streets are very quiet.
Popped in to "Run and Become" so Mrs Tenkay could get some new running kit, that was followed by a few beers in Cloisters, one of my favourite Edinburgh pubs. Walked back to Porty, nearly fell into the Sheep's Heid for more beer but was thwarted by Mrs Tenkay.

We were almost home when a sudden downpour forced us to take refuge in Miros on the Prom. A large glass of Tempranillo and a slice of homemade cake was consumed while people watching and waiting for the rain to ease has set me up for an evening of TDF watching and more wine consumption 🍷🍷

aferris2

Guru
Well, we're back! Got into Heathrow at lunch time and met by daughter who drove us home. Everything apart from furniture has been stored in one room so our 2 weeks quarantine is going to be spent unpacking the house.
My body is telling me it's about 2 am so off to sleep fairly soon. I do want to find the kettle first though ☕🍵

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, we're back! Got into Heathrow at lunch time and met by daughter who drove us home. Everything apart from furniture has been stored in one room so our 2 weeks quarantine is going to be spent unpacking the house.
My body is telling me it's about 2 am so off to sleep fairly soon. I do want to find the kettle first though ☕🍵
Tell your body, "It's wrong". It's fast.

D

Deleted member 1258

My surgery changed from a surgery based repeat prescription system to a system Called Patient Access prescription goes direct to nominated pharmacy or for collection of the prescription from the surgery System has been running for some time and has not been any problems as far as I am concerned Medication is usually ready for collection two days after ordering

Ours uses the POD, prescription On Demand, usually, once you get through, it works fine, its just getting through thats the pain. Today due to technical problems they'd lost access to patient records, I got through but couldn't order anything. The website for my Good Ladies doctors was up and running by mid morning and her medication has been ordered.

classic33

Leg End Member
Automated system for prescription reordering on the phone. Listening to a "voice" that is getting the medication names wrong, and having to guess if it's the correct one. One of those available I'm no longer on.

Review needed for one, can only be carried out face to face, so it's not on the available list. Requires a seperate call to be able to get it authorised, then back through the automated system to order the other.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, mine is an original idea.

I told my sister about the competition and she said that she will try to remember some of the Scottish ghost stories that our mum told us when we were little.
You ever hear about the "Axeman of Hardcastle Craggs"?

Said to wander the valley, axe in one hand, as if searching for something. He'd appear, with no noise, out of the mists that happen in that valley. Other times at dead of night, carrying no light. Following paths that no longer existed.

The first you'd know he was there being an odd feeling, then you'd realise there was no earthly sound to be heard....

Top Bottom