The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well, I thought you might be interested in that. Since a minority of the population decided to leave the EU, you are aware that all non-national residents have to go through the process of applying for settled status in order to stay.
I have been here for 50 years now and have a letter from the Home Office that clearly states that all restrictions on my stay here are lifted. That letter is dated in 1972, which is before the UK joined the EU.
I have phoned my local MP this morning to find out where I stand and his reply was to go through the process just to be on the safe side.
I would have thought he could have investigated a bit more to give me a definite answer.
The process has to be done on a mobile phone and when I tried, it says that my phone is not compatible for it so I will have another go on my son's phone when he gets back from Taiwan and hope that his phone is compatible or otherwise, what do I do?
I wonder if English people residing in the rest of the EU will have to do a similar thing in the country where they live now?
What a farce!!

pawl

Legendary Member
As they say in these parts a bit nippy this morning.

Looks like long sleeved top and tights for this morning’s bimble🥶🥶🥶

It was a bit chilly No wind 23 miles covered.

It’s now raining

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like that idea of sending the bags and travelling by train. We are thinking of trying it to the Whitby area.
I went for a week's holiday in Penzance once. I wanted to take my bike but was thinking that it could be a lot of hassle on the trains. It turned out that the bike spaces were already booked anyway so I booked a courier to take care of it for me. Fortunately, my then girlfriend had family there so they took delivery of the bike the day before we went down and sent it back the day after we came home. I think each way cost about the same as a day's bike hire and I did 4 or 5 rides while I was there so it was cheaper than hiring a bike, and my bike was better than those available in the local bike shops.

ColinJ

Waking up at 0300 means I need a pee.
Waking up at 0500 means I have wet the bed :wacko:.
I've only done that once in 60 years. I had been to the pub and got rather inebriated, and then went home and straight to bed. I started having a dream about still being at the pub, chatting to my mates. The conversation was very humorous but I was busting so I made my excuses and headed for the Gents. So there I was, standing at a urinal in full flow when I suddenly realised that I appeared to be standing horizontally rather than vertically... :wacko: Oh, damn!!!! :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've only done that once in 60 years. I had been to the pub and got rather inebriated, and then went home and straight to bed. I started having a dream about still being at the pub, chatting to my mates. The conversation was very humorous but I was busting so I made my excuses and headed for the Gents. So there I was, standing at a urinal in full flow when I suddenly realised that I appeared to be standing horizontally rather than vertically... :wacko: Oh, damn!!!! :laugh:
Ha ha
I know someone that did similar but had opened the wardrobe door and used that.

ColinJ

Ha ha
I knew someone who used his parents' wardrobe - while they were asleep in bed next to it! His mum and dad were not amused... :laugh:

PS Talking of doing weird things while asleep... That has just reminded me of a couple I knew who were stopping with a mutual friend. I popped down to see the 3 of them one morning and there was a bit of a flap going on. Apparently, they'd had a late night and had decided to have a lie-in. The woman woke up to discover her boyfriend - still asleep - attempting to climb through the open first-floor bedroom window! :eek:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Squire
Mrs P mixed the new paint colour for our front room herself. May I remind you all this is the colour which is currently the wrong one. The mixing took place two weeks ago.

The mixing was achieved through the use of a plastic kitchen measuring jug and a dinner knife. The jug with paint and knife stuck in solidified paint is still in the kitchen. Do I:
  • Bin it myself
  • Clean and rescue it myself
  • Wait to see how long before Mrs P tries one of the above
  • Ask Mrs P to sort it out
  • Sue for divorce
Call me unreasonable but I find this irritating. Now lads I'm looking for support here. If I'd done this? 🤔

I should mention Mrs P purchased a set of three measuring jugs this morning.

I'm a patient man but..........

PaulSB

Squire
Ha ha
I'm going to have to confess to having actually done this.......

Decades ago some friends stayed over on NYE. We went to the pub and got smashed. The next morning our friend confessed she'd had to pass her handbag to her partner who clearly wasn't going to reach the bathroom and was "unwell" xx(

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, I thought you might be interested in that. Since a minority of the population decided to leave the EU, you are aware that all non-national residents have to go through the process of applying for settled status in order to stay.
I have been here for 50 years now and have a letter from the Home Office that clearly states that all restrictions on my stay here are lifted. That letter is dated in 1972, which is before the UK joined the EU.
I have phoned my local MP this morning to find out where I stand and his reply was to go through the process just to be on the safe side.
I would have thought he could have investigated a bit more to give me a definite answer.
The process has to be done on a mobile phone and when I tried, it says that my phone is not compatible for it so I will have another go on my son's phone when he gets back from Taiwan and hope that his phone is compatible or otherwise, what do I do?
I wonder if English people residing in the rest of the EU will have to do a similar thing in the country where they live now?
What a farce!!
Before the EU even, Common Market back then.

Which passport do you hold, out of interest.

classic33

Leg End Member
Mrs P mixed the new paint colour for our front room herself. May I remind you all this is the colour which is currently the wrong one. The mixing took place two weeks ago.

The mixing was achieved through the use of a plastic kitchen measuring jug and a dinner knife. The jug with paint and knife stuck in solidified paint is still in the kitchen. Do I:
  • Bin it myself
  • Clean and rescue it myself
  • Wait to see how long before Mrs P tries one of the above
  • Ask Mrs P to sort it out
  • Sue for divorce
Call me unreasonable but I find this irritating. Now lads I'm looking for support here. If I'd done this? 🤔

I should mention Mrs P purchased a set of three measuring jugs this morning.

I'm a patient man but..........
  • Rescue it yourself, and try to clean it
  • Bin it yourself if you can't clean it
  • Then blame Mrs P as she tries one of the above
  • Sue for divorce, after it doesn't work

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
What a farce!!
I feel for you. I have no idea what the other EU countries will do with expat. British residents. I hope they won't be so small minded.:sad:

Top Bottom