The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Shouldn’t have cleaned off the grease that it comes with. It’s way better than any subsequent oil. Makes them slippy to work with right enough.
The chap on Youtube is adamant that it should be cleaned so I just followed his advice. Of course, I will also lubricate every single link when it is on, I always do it after a couple of ride. Bear in mind I only ride in dry weather so the chain hardly ever gets wet really.

Shouldn’t have cleaned off the grease that it comes with. It’s way better than any subsequent oil. Makes them slippy to work with right enough.
As Harry Hill would say, there’s only one way to sort this out...:smile:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My usual route for exercise is being resurfaced but I got the dates wrong and thought it was this week but in fact it is next week. Did not go out as expected machinery and probably tar which I encountered once near Forfar. Got some on my tyres and it was a nightmare to get off. Cut the grass instead for my daily exercise.
Strong north easterly winds but no rain today so far and all ferries are either cancelled or doubtful.
Forecast towards the end of the week looks better tho' but wind still northerly which makes it much colder.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The chap on Youtube is adamant that it should be cleaned so I just followed his advice. Of course, I will also lubricate every single link when it is on, I always do it after a couple of ride. Bear in mind I only ride in dry weather so the chain hardly ever gets wet really.
According to Sheldon Brown……
Factory Lube
New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.
Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don’t do this!
The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don’t do this!
The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.
What does @ColinJ think of it?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning

:boxing: You tell em Mo!!!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Fight fight fight. :laugh:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I got a 4 mile jog in before the rain arrives. I might have to charge up the Kindle and see what I've got on it to read as it's going to be a long day sitting indoors without something to occupy me.
I have been using Borrowbox on my ipad for reading in the lockdown as the local library is shut. You have to be a library member to access this if your local library service supports it. You have to use a pin number which is the last 4 numbers of your library membership number but nobody tells you this in advance. It tends to be the most popular type of book which is stocked and I admit to having looked at some terrible rubbish and even read some of them. I think the selection depends on your local library and Argyll and Bute has the most unimaginative mindset possible.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Ok i will admit i am not techy.But i do understand that if your computer or telly plays up,you can turn it off and turn it on again everything should be ok.So would someone go back to 31st Dec and restart 2020.What a useless year it has been so far.
It has all been a bit surreal and unsettling. Sadly, I see no great improvement for a long time yet.

Top Bottom