The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have never felt more rejected than I do today, the saga of my ceiling.
As most of you will know I had a water leak from the lady above, well the said job was repaired, but the area is now a different colour and the wallpaper has been torn, I emailed Aster my Housing Association when will the job be finished. I got a reply this morning :-
I can see the repair under reference HA090274 has now been marked down as completed.
With regards to decoration and painting this isn't something Aster would attend to. We do not attend to cosmetic issues.

In contrast the lady had a fully fitted shower unit fully tiled and freshly painted, I wonder now if this is sexist.....he's a man he can do it himself !!!
I have put in a complaint to Head Office, but I think I have wasted my time, I have been with them for a long time as this is the way they have treated me..........:cry:

View attachment 543264
Bet that lot went through their insurance. So the cosmetics should be covered, leaving them in the same situation as before. As for the wallpaper, that comes down to shoddy Workmanship, causing the damage.

pawl

Legendary Member
@PaulSB
Can I burden you with another question. This one is in your field but I only want an opinion and promise not to sue :rolleyes:.
We decided?? to plant trailing pansies for winter.
The TV magazine has a full page and from a supplier called yougarden.com. The claim is you can plant in September and they will flower till June.
I was a bit concerned so googled reviews of the company.
Of the 1st 25 reviews 24 were dreadful. Most said 90% of plants recieved were dead.
I phoned Bents and they a) will not have winter plants till Sept/Oct and b) have no idea what they will be able to get.
I would just appreciate your thoughts.

Never had any success with so called winter flowering pansies.Personally I wouldn’t bother.

GM

Legendary Member
Regarding the ubiquitous zucchini (What we call courgettes...I always thought courgettes were female little dogs beloved by your queen.) Here they are shredded and incorporated into cake like bread, like carrot cake or banana bread. Another solution is to cut them into coin shapes, dip in egg and then crust with Panko or whatever bread crumbs you like, and bake until a crunchy crust ensues. Very tasty...you can almost forget there's a zook in there.

Wifey does that with courgettes as well. Here's the ingredients for what I call Ros's Tea loaf...Raisins, Sultanas, 1 Egg, 1/2 pint of Earl grey tea,
A drop of Whiskey, Spoonful of sugar, Shredded Courgette, Apple, Self Raising flour, Walnuts, Mixed spice cooked long and slow on a low heat for about 1 and 3/4 - 2 hours. :hungry:

PaulSB

Squire
@Dave7 I don't know this company and obviously haven't seen the advert. I've looked at their website but can't see trailing pansy. They are offering bedding Pansy but note they offer "plug" plants and suggest potting in to 9cm pots for 3-4 weeks before planting out in the garden. So this isn't my opinion it's what I know!!

1. As plug plants these will be small and quite possibly the same or very similar in size to the stock we used to buy as professional growers.

2. Professional growers would struggle to turn a plug plant potted in a 9cm pot in to something ready to put in the garden in 3-4 weeks

3. Buying pansy at this time of year risks them putting on a lot of quite soft growth. In this state they will become straggly and may not make it through the winter. As professionals we always had a struggle to maintain quality - short and compact - in July (which is VERY early for "autumn" Pansy) and August. There are ways to do it involving chemical growth regulators, something we always tried to avoid.

The time to buy autumn Pansy or Viola is mid-September onwards. Try to wait till we get cooler nights as this will slow growth and give stronger harder plants.

Buy good sized plants. If you buy trailing pansy these will most likely be in 9/10cm pots. It's an expensive item and is usually offered in a pot to increase the perceived value to the consumer. They will most likely all be in flower - perceived value, impulse purchase.

If you want bedding plant pansy buy those offered in packs of 6. Don't be seduced in to buying plants smothered in flower. Look for those packs with 2-3 plants in flower, just enough to see you like the colour. The best quality will have quite dark green, flattish foliage.

I know the grower who used to supply Bents, he was good - I don't know if he still supplies them. You can do far worse than B&Q, their suppliers are amongst the best in the country. Same applies to Aldi. With both these it's important to try and buy within 24 hours of the stock arriving in store. It will be very good on arrival but every day in store will see the quality deteriorate. Aldi will probably get delivery on Tuesday/Thursday.

Last two points, flowering will be minimal December through to mid-January/early February depending on weather conditions. Personally I would use Viola for autumn/early spring. They stand bad weather better and begin flowering earlier in spring.

Question why do you specifically want trailing pansy? Where are you planning to use them?

PaulSB

Squire
Just seen @pawl comment on winter pansy. Yes, he's right to an extent as success with winter bedding is more difficult than spring or summer - think weather. This is a general comment. Retailers will begin to offer "autumn" bedding as early as they can reasonably get away with it.

The public are generally seduced into buying the plants with the most flower. Impulse purchase. As growers this is not what we would consider the best quality, ideally there will be only 2-3 flowers on a pack of 6. The more flower the longer the plants have been sat in the box. You want plants which are ready to plant out, grow and flower in your garden. This applies to all bedding plants. This question of how much flower was always a conflict between grower and customer!

Buy autumn bedding in the autumn - mid-Sepember onwards - not summer - August! Don't expect masses of flower in winter, there should be some but do expect good flower in spring.

Buying the right plant is important, strong, healthy, dark green foliage and a bit of flower should perform. Something smothered in flower and palish green foliage is already beyond its' best.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Dave7 I don't know this company and obviously haven't seen the advert. I've looked at their website but can't see trailing pansy. They are offering bedding Pansy but note they offer "plug" plants and suggest potting in to 9cm pots for 3-4 weeks before planting out in the garden. So this isn't my opinion it's what I know!!

1. As plug plants these will be small and quite possibly the same or very similar in size to the stock we used to buy as professional growers.

2. Professional growers would struggle to turn a plug plant potted in a 9cm pot in to something ready to put in the garden in 3-4 weeks

3. Buying pansy at this time of year risks them putting on a lot of quite soft growth. In this state they will become straggly and may not make it through the winter. As professionals we always had a struggle to maintain quality - short and compact - in July (which is VERY early for "autumn" Pansy) and August. There are ways to do it involving chemical growth regulators, something we always tried to avoid.

The time to buy autumn Pansy or Viola is mid-September onwards. Try to wait till we get cooler nights as this will slow growth and give stronger harder plants.

Buy good sized plants. If you buy trailing pansy these will most likely be in 9/10cm pots. It's an expensive item and is usually offered in a pot to increase the perceived value to the consumer. They will most likely all be in flower - perceived value, impulse purchase.

If you want bedding plant pansy buy those offered in packs of 6. Don't be seduced in to buying plants smothered in flower. Look for those packs with 2-3 plants in flower, just enough to see you like the colour. The best quality will have quite dark green, flattish foliage.

I know the grower who used to supply Bents, he was good - I don't know if he still supplies them. You can do far worse than B&Q, their suppliers are amongst the best in the country. Same applies to Aldi. With both these it's important to try and buy within 24 hours of the stock arriving in store. It will be very good on arrival but every day in store will see the quality deteriorate. Aldi will probably get delivery on Tuesday/Thursday.

Last two points, flowering will be minimal December through to mid-January/early February depending on weather conditions. Personally I would use Viola for autumn/early spring. They stand bad weather better and begin flowering earlier in spring.

Question why do you specifically want trailing pansy? Where are you planning to use them?
Lots of good sense there Paul.... I always appreciate your advice.
As to why trailing pansy.......cos the advert and photos looked good.
We got the bug......its only taken us 52 years^_^.
We have had good success with the pots this summer and just want some colour over winter....... Violas may be the one to go with.

PaulSB

Squire
We have had good success with the pots this summer and just want some colour over winter....... Violas may be the one to go with.

You see. Impulse purchase. Proved it in 7 words!! :laugh: I know you won't misunderstand me when I say the vast majority of the public know very little about plants and gardens. It's an established fact 80% of garden centre visitors don't know what plant they are looking for on arrival. People buy what looks good the day they visit.

If these pansy are for your containers and pots what you need are bedding pansy. Sold usually in packs of six. I'd suggest this year you try both pansy and viola and see what works best in your location.

Personally i would always choose Viola. Smaller foliage and flower makes them more weather tolerant. Fabulous range of colours. Earlier to flower in spring. I am though in the minority, pansy outsell viola by at least 3 to 1.

Dave7

Legendary Member
You see. Impulse purchase. Proved it in 7 words!! :laugh: I know you won't misunderstand me when I say the vast majority of the public know very little about plants and gardens. It's an established fact 80% of garden centre visitors don't know what plant they are looking for on arrival. People buy what looks good the day they visit.

If these pansy are for your containers and pots what you need are bedding pansy. Sold usually in packs of six. I'd suggest this year you try both pansy and viola and see what works best in your location.

Personally i would always choose Viola. Smaller foliage and flower makes them more weather tolerant. Fabulous range of colours. Earlier to flower in spring. I am though in the minority, pansy outsell viola by at least 3 to 1.
Sounds good BUT......will they do as winter plants ?

plustwos

Do I remember correctly that Newtown WAS actually a new town back in the 60s/70s.
I seem to recall a guy I worked with moving there as they were offering council houses to attract people.

Well if it was when we cycled there to stay with friends we and presumably they were fantasizing. Edward 1 must have been disappointed if it wasn't set up as a market town in his day. The designation in, I think, 1967 (remember we had just moved house), was to get people like Laura Ashley to set up manufacturing - seem to remember she moved into an abandoned mill. That hasn't turned out too well. Lovely town though, used to be quite a culture centre, haven't visited since the 1980s, all our friends keep dying off.
Ken

GM

Legendary Member

Dave you could always get plastic ones for a bit of colour until the real plants grow in the spring! you know I'm joking :laugh:

Top Bottom