The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I just read an article that made the terrible interest rates seem even more awful if that's possible.

If you have £50,000 in savings, at the current rate of 0.01%, after 1 year you will earn enough interest to buy a bar of chocolate costing the grand sum of £5.00. If you have £85,000 then you would earn £8.50. :ohmy:

Morning all, another bright start here :hello:

Exlaser2

Veteran
Morning all . What a lovely morning , the sun is shining, the wind has come round to being a westerly and dropped in to the 10 to 20 mph range . It’s a perfect day for dinghy racing at our club.

The only problem is mrs exlaser and I are on duty at the club running the race. Oh well we will have fun anyway .
Sod’s law will mean next week when we can race again will mean it’s a northerly and either 0 mph or 40mph oh and raining too 😂😂

Have a lovely day everyone. 😀

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am back. A pleasant 39 miles through Comrie, St Fillans and a loop round Loch Earn which will mean absolutely nothing if you don't know the area. Lol.

Looking forward to my breakfast now.
Often fancied cycling in that area again as I travelled those areas in my teens. Nowadays I am afraid it has become a through route with motorised vehicles travelling to a timetable. Comrie seems a useful starting point for a run with the Brompton but since there are no visible parking places I do not wish to wonder off into what may become a turning or reversing problem.

pawl

Legendary Member
Have to laugh at all these people being interviewed on the news........absolutely desperate for a holiday as they haven’t had one for months! Poor things. I haven’t had one for years! :laugh:

Why leave these shores to catch the virus when you can get it free in the U.K. Gave up on continental holidays two years ago.Cant do with all the faffing around at airports WARNING Scotland will be on my list once the virus is sorted.

The way it’s going though I will probably have departed this mortal coil by then.☠️💀☠️😀😀😀

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Brightening up a bit out there now.:okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
How about a book, or an audio book?
I find I can lose myself for hours while reading. My current book weaves English folklore ( the Green Man etc) into a contemporary mix of detective and supernatural.
When Mrs Tenkay was away in Scotland and I was having trouble sleeping, I would play an audio book of Stephen Fry and be in the land of nod in minutes.
Quite a few libraries allow you to borrow books in digital form as well as having audio books available.
I will get MrsD to send^_^ him a recorded message.
She starts talking and I am asleep PDQ

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am back. A pleasant 39 miles through Comrie, St Fillans and a loop round Loch Earn which will mean absolutely nothing if you don't know the area. Lol.

Looking forward to my breakfast now.
Last time I went to Scotland was in 1968. We went to a cinema in Edinburgh to watch " That will be the day" with David Essex, then slept in the car , a Mini, cos we couldn't afford a B&B then and finished off in Loch Lomond , camping and all that time it was raining, so we gave up after 2 days and spent the rest of the time in North Wales, at my girlfriend's uncle house in Conwy then. I remember we got lost in Glasgow and couldn't understand a word they were saying when I asked for directions.
I would love to go again one day as the scenery is outstanding.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I just read an article that made the terrible interest rates seem even more awful if that's possible.

If you have £50,000 in savings, at the current rate of 0.01%, after 1 year you will earn enough interest to buy a bar of chocolate costing the grand sum of £5.00. If you have £85,000 then you would earn £8.50. :ohmy:
What if you don't like chocolate :rolleyes:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

If you factor in the inflation rate of 1.75% at present, you won't be able to buy the choccie bar
You, we, are losing money on our savings.:rolleyes::ohmy:

Top Bottom