The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I discovered yesterday that The Whisky Shop in Dufftown is doing mail order. I don’t know how long it’s been doing that, perhaps for ever, but I only discovered yesterday. Suffice to say, I’ve just submitted an order, I’ve gone for another 10 yo Tomintoul, also a 16 yo Tomintoul, a Wemyss blend and also I noticed they have a good range of gins so I’ve gone for one they had distilled specially for them. I shall keep this thread posted on tasting notes :smile:
A question for you.
We enjoy a g&t but just standard stuff.
There is an ad running on TV pushing a brand of tonic. The argument is.......if tonic makes up 70% of the drink why skimp on it.
Sounds reasonable to me.
Does the tonic matter much to you?

classic33

Leg End Member
If you need any help with the tasting I’m sure there are a few willing to help you out Where is the nearest bus or train station to you 🥃🥃🥃😜😜
You've a bike!

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The Eagle has landed on Bodmin Moor.
Off to pick up a newspaper and some shopping and then onwards to the Rising Sun for lunch.:okay:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member

On the subject of gin, back in February before Covid, Mrs F and I had a fantastic time making our own gin at the Edinburgh Gin distillery. It was a fascinating afternoon, they helped you select a collection of aromatics to your taste then you set up the still and went for a tour while it did it’s stuff. Then you came back to sample it, bottle and label it, and take it home. It was a birthday treat for Mrs F, money well spent :smile:

PaulSB

Squire
A question for you.
We enjoy a g&t but just standard stuff.
There is an ad running on TV pushing a brand of tonic. The argument is.......if tonic makes up 70% of the drink why skimp on it.
Sounds reasonable to me.
Does the tonic matter much to you?
Generally we buy quality gin, currently Ophir or Tanqueray London or Seville Orange, and Schweppes full strength tonic.

From time to time Mrs P likes to have Fevertree tonic but I can't tell the difference. We've tried cheap supermarket tonic but it seems a false economy.

I bought a bottle of Absolut lime vodka recently. Really enjoyed this with tonic and a slice of lime.

What proportions do people use? We do 50ml gin/150ml tonic. Have to admit I've been known to sneak an extra 25ml of gin......:ohmy:

Top Bottom