The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I might have mentioned a week or so back the village hall committee on their infinite wisdom decided to get rid of 31 benches and 11 tables bought in 1953 by offering the free to locals,by the time I had a chance to contact the member I know and tell him they were worth a few bob at which time he said I was wrong they had all gone, one local not so nice had 10, they are now on market place at £90 each for the benches and selling, the tables on eBay are looking at £350 each. The committee is always pleading poverty, I did try and work with them years ago but not being born here my services were not required.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning fellow retirees,

It's raining again, and set in for the day by the look of it.
I've taken the plunge and purchased a Brooks B17 saddle. My cunning plan is to set it up on the turbo trainer and see how comfy it is 😉

Question: I've seen "Proofide" recommended to help the breaking in process, any experience as to it's efficacy?

Have a lovely peaceful day folks ☔🚶‍♀️🚴‍♀️🏃‍♂️🚣‍♀️🏊‍♂️☔

screenman

Legendary Member

I've taken the plunge and purchased a Brooks B17 saddle. My cunning plan is to set it up on the turbo trainer and see how comfy it is 😉

Question: I've seen "Proofide" recommended to help the breaking in process, any experience as to it's efficacy?

Proofide is a good idea, apply a liberal coating to the inside of your pants before putting them on each day.

Dave7

Legendary Member
That seems very expensive. I tried varifocals but couldn't get on with them but I think they were less than £300, and he kindly took the frame back and put in the reading prescription plus I got another pair for distance and it still didn't come to that.
I am one of the fortunate people that get on with varifocals.......:rolleyes: never had a problem. MrsD can't get on with them.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I might have mentioned a week or so back the village hall committee on their infinite wisdom decided to get rid of 31 benches and 11 tables bought in 1953 by offering the free to locals,by the time I had a chance to contact the member I know and tell him they were worth a few bob at which time he said I was wrong they had all gone, one local not so nice had 10, they are now on market place at £90 each for the benches and selling, the tables on eBay are looking at £350 each. The committee is always pleading poverty, I did try and work with them years ago but not being born here my services were not required.

Serves them right.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

Profide won't help to break it in. It helps to protect your saddle.

Slap it on the underneath as well. Don't put too much on the top side of the saddle leave it for 5 minutes then buff it with a soft cloth.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We replaced ours a little while ago. On the advice of our Plumber we went for a "Soft Close" one and have been very pleased. People tend not to consider them, but Screwfix has some cracking bargains and the reviews of products are by tradespeople mostly, and quite accurate.
We have 2 (not on the same bog Classic). Both good. The 1st we bought didn't last long and couldn't be repaired so was replaced foc.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all :hello:

We have serious Dartmoor rain here at the monent. :eek:
Will be off at 9am to nip home (42 miles) and pick up our solar panel, which I forgot to pack the other day. :wacko:
Should be back in Moretonhamstead around mid-day.
Thats a bummer.
We went to highlands a few years ago and I stupidly forgot to put my camera battery in. After much researching we made a 150(ish) mile round trip (Fort William) to buy one duh!!
Fortunately we made a day out of it so not a complete waste.

Top Bottom