The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
After yesterday's eye test I am now a little light of pocket. My sight had changed a little from three years ago when they last changed the prescription.
So, a scan of the eyes and a very thorough examination, new varifocal lenses and frames, £757:ohmy:. The lenses came to £450 on there own. 40 for the scan and the rest was the frames.
I am wondering if next time to try Boots or Specsavers?
Sounds very expensive to me. I've always used Boots, I think I paid £230 for two pairs of reading/computer glasses with tint, anti this and anti that - I always go for all the add one. There is usually a good deal in Boots based on both age and 50% off second pair etc.

I've tried varifocals but didn't get on with them.

Never used Specsavers but thought they were TOO busy when I went there recently for a hearing test. The audiologist was good and I left happy but observing how busy the optics side was I questioned how much attention each customer was receiving?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Sounds very expensive to me. I've always used Boots, I think I paid £230 for two pairs of reading/computer glasses with tint, anti this and anti that - I always go for all the add one. There is usually a good deal in Boots based on both age and 50% off second pair etc.

I've tried varifocals but didn't get on with them.

Never used Specsavers but thought they were TOO busy when I went there recently for a hearing test. The audiologist was good and I left happy but observing how busy the optics side was I questioned how much attention each customer was receiving?
I've been using specsaves for years now and always got a good deal from them.
As for being busy, yes they are, but I have never been rushed in to making a purchase or buying something I was not happy about.

Tenkaykev

Guru
There's a massive mark up on optical products. It's why you see so many opticians shops, similar to when there was a plethora of Mobile Phone shops on the High Street.

The lens manufacture is computerised and automated, some of the opticians enter your prescription details into what is in effect an on line terminal.

If you look at the frames dispassionately you can see they're cheap to manufacture with a low raw materials cost.
There are the shop and staff overheads of course, but there's still a huge mark up.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Varifocal, super slim, prism to correct double vision and a reasonable quality frame, 2 pairs from Specsavers less than £300. My SIL used to pay £700 from the local small optician she now pays £200 at Specsavers and remarks on the being better.
I have used Specsavers for many years and never had a problem. However, after MrsDs last episode I decided to try an independent. They were very thorough but A LOT more expensive. I will collect them in a week so will know more then.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have bimbled this morning, 55 miles, original destination was wellesbourne but I changed my mind just after I left the house and headed for Harveys Coffee Cabin at Twycross, but they were closed when I got there so I worked my way down to Sutton Cheney and then went to the wharf where I was last time out. A grey morning with a stiff breeze, it stayed dry except for one short sharp shower on the way back. An unexpected good morning out on my bike, I was expecting the morning to be disrupted by the weather but it never happened.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Update.
Been to Doctors.
Got blood test forms.
Blood tests are now strictly by appointment. Mine is August 26th.
After that its a 2 week wait for results.
Doc was asking loads of questions to which I replied "I really don't care.......I just want to know what the problem is".
Ahh well, at least I am getting closer to knowing ^_^

There's a massive mark up on optical products. It's why you see so many opticians shops, similar to when there was a plethora of Mobile Phone shops on the High Street.

The lens manufacture is computerised and automated, some of the opticians enter your prescription details into what is in effect an on line terminal.

If you look at the frames dispassionately you can see they're cheap to manufacture with a low raw materials cost.
There are the shop and staff overheads of course, but there's still a huge mark up.

I'm retired now so I no longer really have an axe to grind but...

"shop and staff overheads" The NHS pays about £20 for the optician to give you half an hour of his time and expertise. Try that at your local BMW/Mercedes/ Range Rover dealer. Try getting someone to fix your washing machine for that...

@Paulus had a scan - a retinal scanner ( a good one) is about £60k. The optician pays for that, not the NHS.

You can buy quality product or cheap - same as with bikes, You will find good or poor advice under any shopfront, just like an LBS. In the same way as all service industries, you have to pay for professional time and advice. If you "need" a designer label then, like clothes etc. you pay extra for that - your choice.

Rant over, back to my book

classic33

Leg End Member
Update.
Been to Doctors.
Got blood test forms.
Blood tests are now strictly by appointment. Mine is August 26th.
After that its a 2 week wait for results.
Doc was asking loads of questions to which I replied "I really don't care.......I just want to know what the problem is".
Ahh well, at least I am getting closer to knowing ^_^
They're ready to see you, now.
young-woman-doctor-big-syringe-hands-13004513.jpg

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Had a walk up to Grimspound Bronze Age village this morning.

We then went up to Princetown to pick up some shopping. The prison was looking suitably grim and menacing.

We then had a walk through the Belever woods before nipping up to the Warren House Inn for a light lunch. Mrs D had a pasty, I had the Rabbit pie.

Bit miffed that it wasn't a 'proper' pie, but it was very nice all the same. :hungry:

The next site we stay at is off grid.........and guess who left the solar panel at home?! :wacko:
Tomorrow's weather looks crap, so we'll nip home and pick it up, then straight back in time for lunch. I could kick myself.:angry:

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Had a walk up to Grimspound Bronze Age village this morning.

View attachment 542266

View attachment 542268

View attachment 542269

We then went up to Princetown to pick up some shopping. The prison was looking suitably grim and menacing.

View attachment 542270

We then had a walk through the Belever woods before nipping up to the Warren House Inn for a light lunch. Mrs D had a pasty, I had the Rabbit pie.

View attachment 542271

Bit miffed that it wasn't a 'proper' pie, but it was very nice all the same. :hungry:

The next site we stay at is off grid.........and guess who left the solar panel at home?! :wacko:
Tomorrow's weather looks crap, so we'll nip home and pick it up, then straight back in time for lunch. I could kick myself.:angry:
A) it is a proper pie
B) let Mrs D kick you. She will do a better job of it
C) not had rabbit since the mixythingy in the 50s.

Top Bottom