The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Driving down for the ferry yesterday on the single track reminded me how incompetent some drivers are. Followed a proper muppet for miles but did not push too much as I had plenty of time.
Sadness in the Calmac family as the guy who manned the passengers doors died. He was the one who held the doors and them threw them open and shouted "GO" .
Off to do further road battle in Oban but hope to get out cycling later.

Morning all, another murky one here.

On this day 2 years ago Mrs F and I were in the audience beneath Stirling Castle for Runrig’s Last Dance, their last ever concert. A fabulous show and an emotional send off. And though the water's black as night, the colours of Scotland leave you young inside.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:

Reports of flooding in Barnstaple yesterday. I'll have to check with my neighbour to see if we had it back home.
Off out on to the Moor today.
Rabbit pie at the Warren House Inn at lunchtime. :hungry:
It's the highest pub in southern England and has had a fire burning in the hearth continuously since 1845.
Weather's looking good here at the moment.

How much does a pint of best cost in deepest Devon?
Generally around £3.50 - £3.70.
Cheapest I've had was £3.20.

Some years ago I was driving in the Dartmoor area when I was a very large hotel Looked rather gruesome and gaunt 😱😱😱😱
That was the prison. :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Morning all... Forgot to mention we did the NHS Covid test last week, really easy to do, and got the negative result back the following day.
Also had a visit from the puncture fairy, the car this time. An in repairable one, £90 for a new one :cry:
Have a good day folks! 🌈📶
I got a Volvo S70 on lease some years ago.
2 days in I got a puncture...... 350 smackers.
That hurt.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all fellow retirees.
A sunny start to the day here.
Out with the dog soon and the after MrsP's obline pilates class we will be out to lunch on Boris with our son.:hungry:

PaulSB

Squire
Morning all, another murky one here.

On this day 2 years ago Mrs F and I were in the audience beneath Stirling Castle for Runrig’s Last Dance, their last ever concert. A fabulous show and an emotional send off. And though the water's black as night, the colours of Scotland leave you young inside.
Haven't seen Runrig in years but it was always a great night.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
After yesterday's eye test I am now a little light of pocket. My sight had changed a little from three years ago when they last changed the prescription.
So, a scan of the eyes and a very thorough examination, new varifocal lenses and frames, £757:ohmy:. The lenses came to £450 on there own. 40 for the scan and the rest was the frames.
I am wondering if next time to try Boots or Specsavers?

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
After yesterday's eye test I am now a little light of pocket. My sight had changed a little from three years ago when they last changed the prescription.
So, a scan of the eyes and a very thorough examination, new varifocal lenses and frames, £757:ohmy:. The lenses came to £450 on there own. 40 for the scan and the ready was the frames.

Perhaps prices have increased dramatically in past 18 months, but, I paid £230 for two pairs (identical frames), both varifocal, one pair polychromatic tint, one pair plain. That was from ASDA.

Price of frames can make a major difference of course.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
So, a scan of the eyes and a very thorough examination, new varifocal lenses and frames, £757:ohmy:. The lenses came to £450 on there own. 40 for the scan and the ready was the frames.
That seems very expensive. I tried varifocals but couldn't get on with them but I think they were less than £300, and he kindly took the frame back and put in the reading prescription plus I got another pair for distance and it still didn't come to that.

Top Bottom