The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Squire
A serious question......
I am in the market for a new helmet so just googled that Limar brand. They do look nice but are serious money.
The question is.......what will they give you for £230 that a £50 one wont give you?
I did look at some £100ish ones that have mesh inside as against the normal velcro foam pads. They were nice but I couldnt see £100+.

Good question and I'm not really in a position to put forward a technical case. My view would be they all perform the same basic function and imagine it would be illegal to sell anything which didn't meet a minimum safety standard.

Where I think one gets more bang for bucks is in weight, ventilation, internal fitting and external adjustment (I always get one which has the dial on the back to slacken/tighten while riding), style, comfortable straps, colour range and improved impact resistance.

How important people see these things is personal opinion. Last helmet I bought I took the advice of my trusted LBS and paid £100. One week later I crashed at 25 mph and it split in four places. I think my skull would have suffered without it and that £100 was a great investment. My LBS now stocks Limar.

I am going to get the Air Speed which you can probably see is £180. The club discount gets me down to £125 - over three years that's +/- £40. I've chosen this on the basis of comfort, fit, ventilation and looks. I'm a touch anal about feeling I look good on my bike. I wouldn't buy online without trying for fit first.

I ride 150-200 miles a week so all these other considerations are important.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm sat in the Skylark farm cafe with a coffee and a teacake, it's been a nice ride down, just a bit lumpy. The picture is the view from the cafe window.

IMG_20190903_103759.jpg

PaulSB

Squire
Against my better judgement the club has decided to have a new design too.

I am already dreading the arguments, we have enough issues already to the point I've made it known I won't be standing for re-election as have most of the committee.

If I can offer some advice, which may be too late. There was pressure in my club for a new design. Some wanted a complete redesign. At the AGM we put this forward for discussion and the meeting agreed, not the committee, the design should be simplified, no radical departure, fonts tidied up.

I couldn't get much support in committee for doing the work. I quietly consulted a few members with a heavy bias towards women. Got a design, committee said yes. I then put it on Facebook for a public vote and 87 approved with 16 against.

Still got a few whingers though.....:laugh:

Goldy

A serious question......
I am in the market for a new helmet so just googled that Limar brand. They do look nice but are serious money.
The question is.......what will they give you for £230 that a £50 one wont give you?
I did look at some £100ish ones that have mesh inside as against the normal velcro foam pads. They were nice but I couldnt see £100+.
I used to do a lot of motorcycling and the difference in price of helmets was mainly down to fit & finish.
As long as they have the bs/ce rating they should give the same protection.
The same will apply to cycle helmets, its just down to l personal preference.
I'd recommend trying different ones, I've had £100 motorcycle helmets that were much more comfortable than ones costing 3 or 4 times as much, we all have different shape heads

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I used to do a lot of motorcycling and the difference in price of helmets was mainly down to fit & finish.
As long as they have the bs/ce rating they should give the same protection.
The same will apply to cycle helmets, its just down to l personal preference.
I'd recommend trying different ones, I've had £100 motorcycle helmets that were much more comfortable than ones costing 3 or 4 times as much, we all have different shape heads
Yep. I seem to have a Specialized head. Find them really comfy.

First parcel has come now just waiting on Yodel..........
Always exciting receiving an order especially if its good stuff rather than some floor cleaner.
Been tidying a spare room for electric bike man (a thread started by me that was somewhat contentious) who arrives on Sunday.
He's the delivery man I am excited to see as he is fetching a large order of J Howarths sausages. I'm almost salivating thinking about the sound and smell of frying some.

Top Bottom