The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well hello people. Another good night's sleep. I think that's three in a row. It's a bit breezy, grey skies but hinting at sun. Forecast is dry till 4.00pm but then increasingly heavy rain through the night.

Shortly I will trim and freeze beans I picked yesterday, then it's opthalmology to check eye pressure following two months of drops to reduce it and then probably more logging and splitting.

Club kit night, for which I'm responsible, was much better attended than I expected. Excellent news
What is club kit night ? ie what happens?
Dont get too graphic as welshie is easily offended.

I would welcome suggestions, polite ones ^_^, on what to do with excess kale, tomatoes, apples and courgettes. The late summer bounty is catching up with me!!!

We already have a year's supply of chutney!!!

I've heard kale soup is a thing? Anyone tried it??
I'll swap you your excess kale for my rainbow mix chard glut. Been a miserable year for tomatoes here, stop-start spring followed by 40C extended heat wave. Last year I harvested about 600 kg of tomatoes (gave most away to friends and neighbours) with 90 something plants allowed to grow full height This year I have about 40 plants and I doubt there is 100 kg to be taken.
I grow the toms and beans in raised beds fashioned from euro pallet box collars and the dry earth is a desert compared to the well watered beds so of course Mr Mole finds his bugs and an easy dig right through the roots of the plants, the damage is absolute. Next year I am going to lay the collars on top of 17mm square galvanised mesh, the wasted work this year saddens me.
Oh and for the icing on the cake I lost a large bough off a peach tree that is chock with fruit, its hanging on by a few fibres and miraculously the leaves are still vital. I am hoping the fruits will ripen before its time to cut and seal the wound.
The pallet collars are the bomb as youths used to say. I brought 70 of them when I moved here, they formed boxes that I loaded with equipment and I stored them until one day a friend suggested using them as raised beds, they fold flat for storage or transport.
Not tried soup but made quiche with shredded kale, it was nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_165415.jpg
    IMG_20190629_165415.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20170403_132630.jpg
    IMG_20170403_132630.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 6

PaulSB

Squire
What is club kit night ? ie what happens?
Dont get too graphic as welshie is easily offended.

Like many clubs we have our own club design and colours. Every clothing item a cyclist could need is covered except helmets.

The supplier, Tactic, comes mid January (late April delivery) and late August (early November delivery). The full range in all sizes is available for members to try on and discuss with the supplier. People note their size, go home to order and pay online.

Six weeks later I receive the kit, individually packaged, and drop it in to our LBS for members to collect. This works superbly well.

This year our supplier has added Limar helmets to the offer. Members order online direct from Limar and receive a 20-40% discount. For me this means I can buy the helmet I've wanted for 12 months but couldn't afford till last night.

Limar service is untested as this is new. The helmets are available in club colours but I'm not comfortable with the way this is done so I refused the offer. Members trust what I have to say on kit and I don't want to jeopardize that trust.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I would welcome suggestions, polite ones ^_^, on what to do with excess kale, tomatoes, apples and courgettes.
I'll take the apples and tomatoes but you can keep your slubbery courgettes.....yuck! Lol.

Top Bottom