The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
No. 'Parliamentary' is stopping at a station or going down a line as little as possible as it it too difficult to close. If I could change one thing about the railways, it would be to remove the blocks to closing stations.

In this case there are no lines or stations served only by this train.

This case, of two otherwise separate route segments being run, just once a day, as a through service reminds me of something you would see sometimes in BR days, ie. pre-franchising, where adjoining regional and local services would occasionally be linked together to make long, meandering services which I took to be more for operational-logistic reasons rather than passenger demand.
One such example was a single Leicester-Blackpool train per day via Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester, that ran in 1990, possibly just for one timetable. It was operated by a 2-car class 150 with low-backed hard seats, left Leicester about 9 am, and stopped almost everywhere.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Some of these odd services were also for driver route training, incase of a train being diverted from the normal route for whatever reason.
These days many franchises only run over certain specific routes so these route knowledge runs are quite rare.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple from a trip to the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway this week:
20240807_140821.jpg

20240807_140900.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've been down to littlehampton for the day.
I was impressed that they still have a lever frame signal box and semaphore signals at the station.
20240831_184925.jpg

Top Bottom