The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Seen at Platform 9, Leeds, earlier tonight.
IMG_20240711_205638.jpg

IMG_20240711_205731-1.jpg

All coaches in a similar matt shade. Didn't get to see what was on the front.

classic33

Leg End Member
Looking down the length of the train as it departed.
IMG_20240712_003449.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240711_205742.jpg
    IMG_20240711_205742.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 2
The German Government is about to start a massive great investment programme in the rail network, and it looks like much of the network will become a building site for a while. Fortunately the ever interesting RewBoss channel has details, so here's a heads-up if you're planning to visit the Federal Republic in the near future:

robjh

Legendary Member
The Bristol Temple Meads to Stansted Airport Class 170 passing thru' Stapleton Road this morning, with my commuter train from Avonmouth disappearing towards Temple Meads.

View attachment 738440

Well I never, I didn't know there was a direct BRI-SSD service. Just looked it up and it's the only one of the day, leaving Bristol at 0625, calling at Birmingham New Street at 0821 and arriving at Stansted at 1141. There is no direct return journey. It should be passing the end of my garden at around 1120.
Normally Bristol-Birmingham and Birmingham-Stansted are two distinct services, so I wonder why they have been combined in just this one instance? Can't think it's passenger demand as going via London would be a lot quicker.

Saturday 3rd

Thornes Park
(accessed off Horbury Road/A642)
Wakefield

IMG_1003.jpeg

IMG_1004.jpeg

https://wakefieldsmee.co.uk/

Some previous images; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-rail-enthusiast-thread.130375/page-122#post-5647251

dicko

Guru
I have always loved Trains. I spent a lot of my childhood travelling by train to distant Air Force stations across Europe. I traveled to my grandparents home for summer holidays most years as a young boy. As a draughtsman in later life I designed railway turnouts, double junctions and lots more for Network Rail in concrete from their drawing to the finished product laid out at my feet wondering if I had made a mistake before it left the factory.
Now my wife and I are traveling to Vancouver to experience five days aboard the Rocky Mountaineer next spring, she has always wanted to do this so for our fifty-third anniversary we are on track for adventures. I will post some photos too.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Well I never, I didn't know there was a direct BRI-SSD service. Just looked it up and it's the only one of the day, leaving Bristol at 0625, calling at Birmingham New Street at 0821 and arriving at Stansted at 1141. There is no direct return journey. It should be passing the end of my garden at around 1120.
Normally Bristol-Birmingham and Birmingham-Stansted are two distinct services, so I wonder why they have been combined in just this one instance? Can't think it's passenger demand as going via London would be a lot quicker.

All sorts of reasons, but entirely unrelated to people wanting to travel between Bristol and Stanstead Airport. Can help those travelling from Bristol to Leicester and connecting serivces, or from stations just south of Birmingham to Leicester, or just for stock movements.

dicko

Guru
Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It sounds like a "Parliamentary".

No. 'Parliamentary' is stopping at a station or going down a line as little as possible as it it too difficult to close. If I could change one thing about the railways, it would be to remove the blocks to closing stations.

In this case there are no lines or stations served only by this train.

Top Bottom