The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:rofl:

I couldn't quite think of the right word, ok? :laugh:

See above, I couldn't quite think of the word, but with hindsight, 'Astute' sounds crap anyway!

Astute - Nuclear Powered Submarine

Here is a picture of it in operation:

best_hd_quality_sea_wallpapers_for_desktop_and_pc-normal.jpg

asterix

Comrade Member
..and here's another:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmsDXY8x5jHsNYaRIajkYxEt6NYQuf5oGxgVGw__3eASXL6x-D.jpg

On sea trials to find out how little water it needed to float in. They know now.

Back on topic:
DSCF0012-1_zpsba589462.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
300px-Dp2_-_kings_cross_-_1963.jpg
For you class 50 cranks, here is the prototype, DP2 at Kings Cross in 1963. I saw this loco many times on the East Coast main line before it crashed into a soda ash train near Thirsk in 1967. They used the body of the 18th production Deltic which was then modified to allow the building of the different internal engine and generator. It sounded vey much like a class 50 when on the move.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A lot of people might like to see a streamlined locomotive on the mainline. The static exhibit is part way there.

For a while Gresley A4 60019 Bittern was running as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand, (see my avatar) but is now back as 4464 keeping the 1930's streamlining.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I like to sit where I can see through into the cab when I get the tram up to NT's house from Piccadilly. Driving one looks easy. I could do that....

<poop!>

Have you tried the Sheffield system? You can see the driver doing all his/her stuff on those too.The trams there have two warning sounders. A polite ding-a-ling bell for when the tram is at a stop that has a pedestrian crossing in front, which is sounded just before the tram moves over the crossing. The other is a deafening 'I'm about to flatten you!' warning, which sounds like a foghorn, first time I heard it I almost jumped out of my skin!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Have you tried the Sheffield system? You can see the driver doing all his/her stuff on those too.The trams there have two warning sounders. A polite ding-a-ling bell for when the tram is at a stop that has a pedestrian crossing in front, which is sounded just before the tram moves over the crossing. The other is a deafening 'I'm about to flatten you!' warning, which sounds like a foghorn, first time I heard it I almost jumped out of my skin!

Either the Manchester ones have that system, or it's one horn that varies according to how hard it's pushed. Moving off from stops, or to warn peds, they go "poop!" politely, but if a car driver gets stuck in the yellow box across a junction and a tram wants to cross, they get a full blast!

The Manchester trams are the only ones I've been on. One day, probably once I've moved over there, I'm going to take a day to do the whole system, see Manchester from edge to edge.

Slightly OT after the ship names...

There is actually an entire MOD department responsible for ship's names.

Names that inspire fear in the enemy like HMS Dreadnought, HMS Terrible, and HMS Revenge.

Somehow a "Flower class" ship like HMS Daisy, HMS Azalea, HMS Bluebell, or HMS Lavender just does not somehow inspire the same fear!

I remember the mirth that spread round Vickers when the name of SSN16 was announced (not HMS until it* was commissioned) Torbay,to be followed by Blackpool Skegness and Margate.

* and not according to shipbuilders' tradition a she until the RN take the vessel over, a sub. is a boat, so gender neutral.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
When all is said and done, I still want to go back to Poland to see these, the 'Polish class 83s', the Class EU06s, and their Polish copies, the class EU07s, the EP07s (modified EU07s) and the EP08s.

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2dfXs6w_9lo

Top Bottom